1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calories

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by xxAngelOnFirexx, Nov 9, 2007.

1. xxAngelOnFirexx

I know you need 15x your weight in lbs calories a day. i know its not healthy to severly limit them. but i'm just curious what would happen scientifically if i limited myself to around 500 calories a day? and not just scare tactics. will i lose weight? how fast? metabolsims? how will my body start to react. if its dangerous how dangerous?

2. Bryan

Limiting your self to about 500-calories a day is out right dangerous, and I think everyone will agree. What will happen is first, you will be hungry all of the time. You will have little energy, and will get sick easily because your immune system wont have enough to function. Then once your body eats away at your fat reserves (which wont take long), your body will eat away at muscle, and eventually organs (this is why people die from anorexia). This would be extremely dangerous, and I am sure you are just curious, but please promise in your next post you will eat at least 2000 calories a day (if you do count, if not then three solid meals). If you are looking to loose weight, the best thing you can do is go on a structured program like weight watchers, and then exercise.
    -Bryan

3. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

From what i herd the average amount of intake for calories a healthy person must take is 2,500. If you want to loose weight you can do exercise cardio is good. Running,jogging, anything like that and plus its fun.

4. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

And btw one Ice cream bar with chocolate and almonds is like 360 calories so you cant really eat much with 500 and your body may not get used to it and you can get sick. I suggest if you wana cut your calories down do it little by little.

5. xxAngelOnFirexx

well even when i aim for 500 i still am normally like 200 off. and i like feeling this way. and i exorsise so i have muscule. and i really don't think i'll get sick. although its only been a handful of days and already i am noticble thinner even though i only lost 2lbs.

6. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I saw on a news clip sometime in which a womanwas on an 800 calorie diet, and it was recommended by her physician as a means of losing her excess weight. My assumption is that the prescribed diet included the nutrients necessary so that she wasn't actually starving herself, and was acquiring everything she needed in her small intake of calories.

So really, I wouldn't mess with this unless you had already spoken to a nutritionist or nutrition expert so that you know that in your limited calorie intake you're acquiring the stuff you need so your body isn't starving itself.

7. 24601

I know this sounds really strange and pretty illogical, but I know from experience that really low calorie diets do NOT work very well at all for losing weight. Why?

When you starve your body of most of its needed calories, it goes into what's usually called a "starvation mode." Your body thinks it's unable to get the needed nutrients and responds attempting to maintain its weight. For more information, read this: http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/burning_calories/starvation.htm

If you want to lose weight, I would stay at least above 1200 calories, around 1500 calories would be more healthy (anywhere from 1500-2000 would still lose weight rather quickly for a guy - I don't know about girls, so...). I know that seems like "a lot," although compared to how much Americans eat on average it isn't, but with a diet with around that many calories and a regular exercise routine, you can easily shed a lot of weight in the period of a few months. Just watch portions.

A 500 calorie diet is VERY unhealthy, and on top of that doesn't work. Maybe after a LONG TIME of feeling crappy and depriving your body of the needed nutrients, it will work, although chances are you will lose a lot of important muscle mass in the process, too. Your best bet is to go with a "moderate" calorie consumption as I mentioned above coupled with an exercise routine.

Edit: I just read your reply. If you've only been doing it for a handful of days, chances are the weight that you lost or the thinness you're seeing now is a result of the loss of water weight or some other factor like that. Here's a link: http://primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/scale.htm

8. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you wanna lose weight in a dangerous way, go on a liquid/soft diet for a month. I drop twelve to fifteen pounds each time. I have to do it because of the oral surgeries I get, and my diet is limited at those times to ice cream, pudding, overcooked ramen and such.

If you wanna lose weight in a healthy way (and please be healthy!), listen to what everyone else says.

9. CrimsonThunder

Just eat healthy and work out to lose weight.

Don't starve yourself you're only going to make yourself sick.

10. xxAngelOnFirexx

yeah i got like 370 calories yesterday and i got real sick. i woke up in the middle of the night with horendous stomache pains. i new i needed food so i tried to eat the first things i found and all i could manage was 1 gram cracker. next morning i had a normal breakfast and a heathly lunch. but since it surpasses my daily calorie allowance (by 50) i can't have anything else. which suxs cause its only 3pm here. i don't want to get sick. i just wish there was some other method of control thats healthy. i seem to bounce between bad things.

11. Tom

Tom Guest

firstly i have not read into this, its just the basic biology that i know

secondly a 500 calorie diet will bring down your weight and amazingly quick but it will not keep the weight off, as soon as you begin to eat more your body will store as much as it possibly can as fat and u will gain weight nearly as quickly as you lost it. a extended diet of 500 calories a day will drastically reduce your life expectancy as you wont have the required amino acids to produce proteins you need for everyday use such as enzymes and haemoglobin so ull be short of breath and have little energy startin in the first few weeks of this diet and gettin worse with time. your white blood cells, well what remain, wont be able 2 produce antibodies either so your immune system will be severly damaged and that will inevitably lead to major illnesses. Your body will not have the means to fight them. also your hair, you will not have enough amino acids to produce the keratin( i think) strands that form a double helix wich is commonly referred to as hair so this will grow slowly and in an extended diet it could grow slower than the rate at which it falls out so hair loss could be an issue. you will be short of energy anyway as there will not be enough glucose to turn into energy wich is required for many, many functions in the body including the nervous system so u may feel pain at random times, no pain when there shud be some and just ur general senses will be at a lower 'quality' than usual.

in the case of women the menstral cycle will stop.

the best way possible to lose weight is a calorie controlled diet but it must include 3 good meals a day to provide you with all the energy that you need so that you do not give your body the impression that it is being starved and so it does not store excess energy as fat, well not as much and so your weight will be easier to maintain and keep constant. get plenty of exercise aswell and if you do get hungry then do eat, dont starve yourself because your dieting just when you do eat have something healthy and im not sure about carbs so im not gona say anythin about them, but once agen this is all what id imagine would happen so do check it out from a reliable source.

aftr a diet like ths tho dont go back to full meals tho, you will feelsick and may even bring it back up spo eat small amounts and often, wich is also a gr8 way 2 diet anyway

#11 Tom, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2007
  12. ketivnilloc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eating that few calories is really dangerous. The lowest amount of calories a women should eat is ~1700 calories to loose weight. Any less than that, and your body will go into starvation mode, as someone else already said.