1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roaccutane/Accutane

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by matt3208pc, May 31, 2011.

1. matt3208pc

Hey all,
    So i've come to the point in my acne treatment where I'm up to the last available option; being roaccutane. Everything else has failed or aggrevated the acne even further.
    If any of you have used this, what are your experiences? I'm aware of all the potential side effects, and frankly being stared at becaused of the acne and scarring is far more damaging to me than the potential side effects. Although I say that now, if I'm bald in a few months I may change my mind. I guess one of the biggest problems will be the no drinking thing, I'm heading to Europe next month so it will be hard to stay away from the alcohol completely.
    Anway just wondering what your thoughts are on the matter.

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Have you tried eating anti-inflammatory food? You should try drinking Aloe Vera juice, it tastes really refreshing too :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

My bro uses this and it worked for him, his acne was pretty gross. And avoid touching your face.

3. Beachboi92

ok i've been dealing with acne forever and i was on accutane for 8 months.

When i was on it, it wasn't terrible but there are a few things that are really important.
    1) Drink LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS, and did i mention lots? of water because it dries everything out and if you don't drink your skin gets to dry and the medication won't work as well
    2) Your lips will be chapped a lot, especially if you don't drink water, get chap stick
    3) DRINK A LOT OF WATER
    4) You will get your blood tested once a month, if you really don't like it don't worry. Once a month isn't to bad and you get used to. I had a terrible fear of needles but after going through accutane, i'm not really bothered by them anymore xD
    5) It didn't get rid of my acne, but it did help, i'd do it again if i could
    6) Don't pick your face while on it, stuff will scare worse as you will be so dried out
    7) Wash your face 2 times a day while your on it
    8) DRINK A LOT OF WATER
    9) be conscientious of any side affects you may be experiencing, accutane is a very serious drug and you should note any changes you experience upon beginning treatment
    10) It does take a little time for you to see the effects, or at least it did in my case
    11) seriously drink a lot of water

Accutane didn't do all that much for me but it did help. However while i was on it i didn't take as good care of my face as i should have, and i didn't drink a lot of water which made it harder for the medication to do it's job properly. However i am currently using Proactive which i have found to be some sort of miracle in my situation. If you haven't tried it i would recommend it before using accutane. If you stick to it, and use it all twice a day and such it will work magically. If you still are having trouble while using it then go for accutane.

Considering all the serious possible side effects it would be worth it to make sure it is your absolute last option. Especially now, as it appears it can cause ulcerative colitis, crohn's disease, and other similar issues.

4. Skiel

Skiel Guest

Not to scare you or anything but recently I saw on tv that they were a few court cases coming up against accutane due to complications (though with any drug which doesn't). To be honest, I personally would not take anything in pill form for something like acne. That's my personal stance on the matter because it doesn't seem necessary. Acne is nothing life threatening, so the risks seem to outweigh the superficial benefits. It's up to you, I have friends who tried it and they reported no complications at all. If scarring is what you are scared of, try some over the counter medicinal creams or Mederma if you haven't done so already, but be careful with those anti-scarrign creams. Some of them may cause more pimples to form because they may clog up your pores. They worked a little for me though. For me, I have very little acne (like only 3-5 pimpples on my face at once) but it's the scarring that makes it seem that i have more pimples than i actually do :tantrum:
    How do you know that other people are staring at you because of your acne? It's probably because they think you're hot :wink:

5. Ecap1

When I started taking accutane I was really scared. I mean whenever I looked it up all I saw were stories of people getting suicidal and getting sorts of complications. Even the accutane box is scary. (A picture of a deformed baby, seriously?) But being desperate to get rid of my acne I took it for 6 months I think? I went from 20mg to 80mg because my acne was pretty darn bad. I honestly prepared myself for the worst considering I was taking such high dosage...but lol, all I got were chapped lips and dried skin. Seriously. My skin is better than ever. But I guess it's different for everyone. Oh and if you're not a depressed person, you won't get depressed. How can you get depressed when everyday you wake up and look in the mirror you see your skin getting better? I think it's all in the head really.

and like Beachboi92 said DRINK A LOT OF WATER IM NOT EVEN KIDDING! DRINK DRINK DRINKKKK (WATER).

if you have any Q's just lemme know bud

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I'm in the same position as you right now. I have tried everything and accutane is now the next option. To tell you the truth, I'm terrified about it. I don't know if to take it and get rid of the acne or suck it up and avoid the possible complications.

So keep them coming guys :slight_smile:

7. zerogravity

One of my best friends developed depression post-accutane and 6 months later he hung himself in the basement of his house. He was really cute and I had the biggest crush on him - he always had lots of girls (and boys) hanging around him and he was really popular and very good looking.

8. Tiny Catastrophe

I wouldn't take accutane. There are natural remedies that can help along with changing your diet

9. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I had the same choice, I would first try ANY other routes before going with Accutane. The possible side-effects are not worth having a clear face.
    If you do go on Accutane, you need to stay hydrated, as people have said above.
    If you are not hydrated, your face will peel and your lips will chap and you will still look bad because instead of acne, you now have dead skin coming off of your face all the time.

If you do decide to go that route, just be VERY careful.

10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was on it. I don't think I have any lasting effects other than less acne.... my face never got too bad, but my back had a ton on it. Now I still have a few on my back and face every now and then. I'm a bit worried the effects are wearing off because it's started to get more? Idk. I'm not sure I would do it again (even if the same acne was back)... I wouldn't really recommend it because the serious risks.... unless your acne is absolutely horrible. And I really see pretty few people with horrible acne....

11. KaraBulut

It's a pretty powerful medication. It's not to be taken lightly- it's something you should go on only after nothing else has worked or if you have severe cystic acne that is causing permanent scars.

It does work. It changes your skin permanently. But while you are on it you must get blood work to monitor for liver damage. You must stay out of the sun because you will be very sensitive to sunlight. Avoid going on it in the winter if you can- it causes very dry chapped lips and nosebleeds. And it does make you feel different- sometimes to the point of severe depression.

And of course, for women you must do everything possible to not get pregnant because it will cause severe birth defects.

#11 KaraBulut, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  12. GhostDog

It was pretty bad being on it, I'll be honest. But it was the only thing that did anything for my acne. Diet changes, natural remedies, other prescription medicines - didn't do dick for my painful, cystic acne. I got acne in fifth grade, and did not have a single day where I didn't have cheeks and forehead full of painful welts until senior year of high school, after I'd been on accutane for a couple of years. Five years later, and I still look like I'm blushing all the time because of all the scarring. It DID get rid of my acne, though.

^ Yes, water is important. You really can't get enough.
    - Regular chapstick isn't going to cut it. I got some stuff with emu oil in it that did better than regular chapstick, though I don't know if animal products weird you out.
    - Watch your immune system. When I was on accutane, I was sick. All. The. Time. If a bug went around school, I picked it up. Be very careful and take good care of yourself.
    - You will burn easily. I really like Neutrogena sunscreen, and aveeno makes this excellent sunscreen specifically for your face. USE SUNSCREEN. If you're going to be outside more than 10-15 minutes at a time, use it use it use it.

** Accutane is ROUGH AS HELL on your liver. DON'T drink while you're on it. That's what they're blood testing for, I think - triglycerides, and liver problems. Don't do anything to fuck with your liver, because accutane is going to do enough of that on its own.

And, like KaraBulut said, I got very, very depressed on this medicine. I was a moody a-hole. I don't know how much of it was being a teenager and how much of it was accutane (and the birth control they made me use while on it), but I was much calmer after I got off it. Watch for moodswings and depression - they can and do happen.

I was on it, it helped, and I don't regret it, but I would never go on it again. It's not something I'd recommend unless absolutely everything else hasn't helped. But, having been there, I know that frustration all too well.

Whatever your doctor tells you to do while you're on this medicine, do it, basically.

13. Kidd

Kidd Guest

My brother was on Accutane for six months and the most he ever complained about were chapped lips and dry skin but that can easily be overcome with proper hydration, chapstick, and moisturizer. I take a different pill for mine. I take 500mg capsules of IC Tetracycline twice a day. If you haven't already tried it perhaps it is something to ask your doctor about?

14. matt3208pc

Thanks for the responses guys, didn't expect so many people to have had experience with it.
    I have seriously thought about it, and given that every other avenue has failed (diet, natural remedies, other medication) this is pretty much my last option. Started on it yesterday, at the moment only on 20mg every second day to ease me on to it, then every day after two weeks. Also got a bunch of anti-inflammatory pills to take for the first two weeks to avoid the initial break out that apparently comes with roaccutane.
    I'm pretty nervous to be honest, and I wouldn't consider it if I didn't think it was necessary, but I already have terrible scarring, my pimples tend to scar a lot (I don't pick at them), and scars are much harder to get rid of than the actual pimples.
    Taken on board what everyone has said about water and moisturizing, the dermatologist gave me a little kit to start off with so will continue using the stuff in there to deal with the dryness, etc.
    Definitely won't be drinking while overseas, I'd rather no alcohol than a face covered entirely in scarring. Will just have to watch out for the sun as it will be summer in europe, I'm not used to worrying about the sun because of my dark complexion, so will have to focus on that a bit.
    Thanks again guys.

15. Ecap1

No prob, and good luck. Hope you only experience the chapped lips and dried skin :slight_smile:

16. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my friend was on it and it changed his life, but he said it was "intense"...