1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of curiosity....

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Ty, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty

Ty Guest

How many paracetamol does it take to OD?

2. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

:icon_eek:
    Okay then. Im going to go ahead and pretend im not disturbed by the nature of the question, but i would imagine quite a few seeing how its half life is somewhere near 2 hours or so.

3. Ty

Ty Guest

Overdose, ethan

Sorry, im just wondering ^_^

Oooh, i must look up paracetamols half life

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

According to this page http://www.pharmweb.net/pwmirror/pwy/paracetamol/pharmwebpic9.html (which was the first one I found when Googling paracetamol overdose) it's 30 tablets in one go, though hospitals regard 24 tablets as the danger level.

It also seems that treatment of overdose (an antidote) should be given within 12 hours though it can still work up to 24 hours after the overdose is taken. Beyond that you are looking at gradual liver failure and possible death over a few days. If you survive, further problems are possible due to the damage it caused.

There is a lot of info on our friend, Wikipedia here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol

It does not sound like a quick or pleasant way to die.

However if you accidentally take four instead of two (for example by taking two paracetamols and some other medicine containing paracetamol) you are still well below the limit. Still not a good idea though.

The recommended daily limit is two tablets four times a day, at four hour intervals. So eight tablets per day, which is well below the danger level.

It does mean that the limit of two packs of 16 tablets that supermarkets etc can sell legally is just about enough to do some serious harm.

Why are you asking?

#5 Paul_UK, Nov 11, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  5. Ty

Ty Guest

Erm just curious - episode of desperate housewives where george swallows a handful of paracetamol and dies within a hour or so - hmm....

6. EthanS

EthanS Guest

LOL i thought its summit to do wiv orgasm or sumthim ¬__¬

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I think we've proved that's inaccurate! I don't know what would happen if he took 100 or so, but that's more than a handful.

8. Ty

Ty Guest

well theres a bottle by his bed and he like emptys it and swallows them all with some gin....but then bree watches him die, so it can't have been a few days - maybe a few hour....

9. Steam Giant

Heh, I think you had a few of us worried there, including me when I was first reading this thread. It probably would have been a good idea to bring up the TV show first, heh. I'm sure I'd freak people out if I asked something like, "how do I tie a noose? Just wondering."

^^

10. Ty

Ty Guest

Whose saying that the tv show isn't a ruse and im just a very good liar?

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Until the limits came into effect a few years ago you could buy a bottle of 100 from chemists like Boots just by asking for them. Now of course they come in those packs where you have to remove each one separately, presumably to slow down people trying to OD.

Is it quite an old film or programme?

I still think it's inaccurate though. I'm sure even 100 would take more than a few hours to kill someone. Did it specifically say they were paracetamol, or were they just his painkillers or something? Some strong painkillers you get on prescription would certainly kill you quicker than over-the-counter ones.

We need JayHew! :slight_smile:

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

From what I've read you may have some troubles but you don't seem that depressed.

13. Ty

Ty Guest

Well its desperate housewives season 2 so about a year or 2 ago.
    George (the character) was a pharmacist, so he would have had access to many drugs.

14. Steam Giant

That's very true, and that's probably what I'd do if I were to ask a similar question, heh. However, let me leave it at this: If it was about the TV show, I think you have your answer. If it wasn't, please let us know so we can help you. I'm sorry if I can't detect an obvious joke here, but with what's happened with me this past year, this sort of topic no longer registers in my sense of humor.

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Agreed.

16. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    I'd have to say that everything you watch on tv should be taken with a pinch of salt. Although, when mixed with alcohol I think a number of drugs can have some pretty bad side effects, so perhaps that would increase his mortality rate.

I do however, hope that you're not thinking of doing something similar. Something never that bad that you should have to resort to suicide. And if you think you need to... speak to someone. We're hear to help :slight_smile:

17. ketivnilloc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen the affects of alcohol and pain-killers first hand, not good.

18. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This topic is scaring me! Thatcrazythang.....please tell us you are just curious and this is not something you are considering. We're here to help you. We care about you. (&&&)

19. xxAngelOnFirexx

yeah i freaked when i read it too. you could have looked it up online. or may want to know so you yourself could try. this seems like a cry for help! let us help you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.