1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to go on a mini diet, everyone's against it

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Mr.Pushover, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Mr.Pushover

Let me first off say that I'm 15, 5'8 or 5'9 and before I went on this diet I weighed about 147.8. It was as high as 150 but I figured with the food I ate the previous day, this was innacurate, so I found out my weight later on and it was 147.8.

Anyways, since my track season was over, I had more time to do nothing, and I did that AND ate (with some workouts in between). So this week I decided to go on a mini diet. 1 because I'm having a birthday party Friday and I want to look beastly, so I've decided to eat less, and healthier, and exercise harder. So, I'm doing just that. Only thing is, NO ONE supports me. All my friends are telling me that I'm going anorexic or that I'm eating |---| much when I should be eating |-------------------------------| much or stuff like that.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I've cut my diet to 1200-1500 cals a day and our summer training (for cross country) just started, so I have that as well. Plus, I do P90X every Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday with my own little special workout put into it (I've been doing this for over a month, not this week). I went to the gym some more to pump up before my party as well. That's just to give you a general idea of what I'm doing. Everyone's so against it!

It's been 3 days since I started, and I've lost about 3 pounds already, so I'm not sure why everyone's concerned, I feel absolutely great!

So what I guess I'm trying to ask is: What I'm doing right now is okay right? Why do you think everyone is so concerned?

Help is appreciated

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't sound like you're starving yourself or anything, so I'd say just keep it up.

I've found that many people in my life aren't that supportive when I try to lose weight. They suddenly are very concerned that I'm "starving myself" or "not eating properly"...which is odd, since none of them show that sort of concern when I dig into a butterscotch sundae. :slight_smile: So I've found it's best to simply lay low with them when I start dieting. I started again yesterday, and didn't even bother telling my partner. :slight_smile: He probably has figured it out, considering the things I bought at the grocery store this evening, but he didn't comment on it one way or the other.

Lex

3. Mr.Pushover

^A.men.

I'm not gonna try to size up my ego, but sometimes I feel like people say that stuff because they find it way hard to go on a diet themselves so they don't really want me to diet either. Thanks for that

4. Rikudo

Sounds like you're well informed just remember that 3 lbs per week is the healthy amount that most people conclude with weight loss.

5. Jay

Jay

As long as you are not feeling overly exhausted or dehydrated, and you're eating a little of everything needed for your well being, you're OK. 1500 Cal is too little in my opinion, but if you show real results then keep it up!

6. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I hardly see how eating healthier is a justifiable cause for protest.

7. zerogravity

If its only 'til Friday then whatever, it's still stupid but it wont kill you. I suggest that after the party you just avoid junk foods and exercise daily. You are 15 with your whole life ahead of you. Dieting just screws up your whole metabolism and as a result your body goes into starvation mode (stores fat) as soon as you start eating normally again.

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    around 145 - 150 lbs is about right for a your height, you don't have to eat less just eat healthier.

9. KaraBulut

1200-1500 kcals isn't enough to sustain the level of activity that you're proposing. And it will also make you more likely to rebound and gain more weight once you return to eating a normal diet.

You would be better off lowering your carbohydrate while consuming a normal amount of calories in your diet. This is as simple as eliminating desserts, sugary drinks (including juices) and reducing breads/starches in favor of non-starchy vegetables and high-protein foods. This is referred to as a low-glycemic index diet.

This will give you energy to sustain your level of exercise. And it will also make it easier to stick to your nutrition and exercise program instead of falling into a yo-yo pattern of weight loss-weight gain.

10. Enaithor

Also the healthy rate of weight loss is 3lbs/fortnight, not 3lbs/week, and certainly not 1lb/day
    I don't think eating less is the answer, especially if you're going to be exercising...you should just eat properly i.e. a balanced diet