1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant Hunger

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Psych!, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Psych!

Psych! Guest

For some reason, I've been feeling lots of hunger lately. It's kind of weird how I went from being fine with small portions of food to wanting to eat so much more. I know that puberty & the whole growing up thing might have something to do with it, but it's starting to worry me. I don't think it's "normal" to be this hungry so often. I sometimes look at the clock to see how much time has passed since I ate and I'm hungry again, even if only 30-50 minutes have passed. I'm worried about eating too much and eventually not being able to control myself, and I'm also worried about not eating enough (since I force myself to wait about 3-4 hours between meals).

Can someone answer any of my questions and/or give me some tips of what I can do?

Thank you in advance.

2. biisme

well, what kind of food are you eating?

3. Psych!

Psych! Guest

I usually eat a bowl of cereal in the morning, 1 or 2 granola bars during the day, a bottle of water or lemonade for lunch and maybe Baked Lays, something when I come home (more cereal or a ham & cheese (low fat) sandwich on whole grain bread), and a small dinner.

4. biisme

um.. that sounds fine b/c it sounds lik the meals ur eating aren't that "plentiful". it's actually more healthy for you if u eat several small healthy things in the day than three large healthy meals.

5. Psych!

Psych! Guest

what can i eat that's plentiful and small at the same time?

6. biisme

i meant it was okay that u were eating so many times b/c what u were eating was not plentiful. this was good. though, what u eat shoudl be healthy, which it sounds lik it is. maybe try having a protein shake for lunch or something to fill u up more?

7. InaRut

Dude, I went through the same thing during puberty. The great thing about puberty is you can indulge yourself (to some extent) and not get fat due to your body using that food right away to grow your body. God I use to think I was gonna become so fat because of all the stuff I ate, and I'm still tall and skinny.

If you find yourself getting tired really easily, or drinking alot of caffiene (like me...now I can't drink alot of coffee anymore) it's a really bad sign that your not feeding yourself enough. Also don't be afraid to go near the fats and protiens. Your body is growing, it will like it.

Otherwise, great diet dude. Just try and change it up a bit? You sound like you focus alot on the grains and not much on anything else.

So eat more, and eat more variety. And if your body is hungry it's okay to eat.

And if you don't believe me...go look at the calorie count you SHOULD be injesting.

:slight_smile:

8. CrimsonThunder

You may find you aren't hungry but you are thirsty. So have a huge cup of water and see if that fills you up. Your brain sometimes thinks you're hungry but you're not, you can eat and eat but not fill full until you've drunk liquids.

9. Louise

For a growing boy you seem to be eating remarkably little. Your body is growing, you need to eat enough nutrients for you body to work properly. If you are feeling hungry 30 -50 minutes after eating it is simply because you body needs energy that you are not giving it so it is looking for it from your lean muscle which of course is very tiring.

A boy of your age need to be eating between 2000 and 2500 calories a day depending on how sportive you are. A man, to maintain his weight and health needs 2000. It doesn't look to me as though you are eating enough calories, you body has got fed up with this and is demanding more.

Apples contain pectin which swells a bit in the stomach and gives you a sensation of satiety for longer than other fruits. Bananas are almost a complete food in themselves (a part from protien) and are quite high in calories. So these might be healthy fruits for you to snack on through out the day without worrying about how often or how much you eat.

The mixture of food also plays a role in how long it lasts in your stomach and then on to your digestive system. Mixing carbohydrates with protien ... a ham sandwich for example, will stay longer in your stomach than just fruit/carbohydrate/protien.

I really don't think you have an overeating disorder from what you say you eat, I just thing your body is starved of nutrients.

10. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    does constant mean being all the time or not much??? i dont get hungry much though

11. CrimsonThunder

Constant means all or most of the time Jayden.

12. Psych!

Psych! Guest

From what you're saying, apparently I'm not eating enough, or maybe just not enough nutrients. The problem is that I feel like I'm over-eating most of the time for eating too often. So, to agree with what you and someone else said above, I do feel tired most of the time. Especially since I'm not the most sportive person in the world. I don't think I should be eating 2 - 2.5 K calories, that's too much.

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You really are not eating that much. I'd try eating an apple or a few nuts between meals. This is especially filling and will tide you over to the next meal.

14. Gera-Kun

Fruits, Vegies. EAT EM! i never saw any of it in ur "diet". hunger usually occurs when you don't eat the whole variety, ie: the lack of certain minerals and vitamins get u hungry till u eat em.

15. Louise

How tall are you and what do you weigh?

Recent surveys have show that you need to take in at least 1500 calories a day to maintain a healthy body and under that you will start to loose weight, I am talking about an adult male here. For adolesents still growing you do need between 1500 and 2000 calories!!!

One last question, why is food such a problem for you?

16. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Yer its probly bcoz ur growing and if u want to grow taller then EAT! ^_^ ..then lose weight afterwards. And u barely eat nething. Oatmeal makes u quite full but its nasty, but healthy, i think you should eat more meat white meats the best, coz protein and calcium helps you grow better. Since your genes dotn have the height, eat more meat, coz i heard your height depends on your genes and your diet

17. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The main thing I noticed which others have covered is the lack of fruit and veg in your diet. We are all supposed to eat five portions of fruit and veg a day, which can be quite difficult. Fruit is excellent to snack on between meals as it is not really fattening, is good for you, and is filling some of the gaps in your regular diet.

It's normal to eat a lot at your age. As well as the 1500 or whatever calories your body needs per day for normal activities, it also needs extra to fuel the growing you are doing right now.

Don't worry about calories - if you are hungry it's your body saying it needs fuel. As long as you don't start getting fat, you're fine. If you do start getting fat but are still hungry then try to cut back on fats and sugars and go for stuff that's a bit more healthy.

Also make sure you are drinking enough water. Opinion on this seems to vary but 1.5 - 2 litres a day is probably enough. However if you are thirsty then drink water.

18. Psych!

Psych! Guest

I'm 5' 6 1/4".
    Last time I checked (about 2 or 3 days ago), I was at 127.

I've had weight issues for a long time.

What sort of nuts?

#18 Psych!, Nov 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2007
  19. Psych!

Psych! Guest

I could manage a banana and an orange every now & then, but make them part of my diet... I dunno. As for vegetables, they're not my favorites. I can only eat corn.

I don't really like eating that much 'cause I'm sure I'll gain weight if I do.

20. biisme

i would just lik to point out that at 127 pounds, u do not need to worry that much about gaining weight. it would be a lot better to, as others have said, eat a more balanced diet.