1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ice

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ppreston9, Nov 13, 2007.

1. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

can a too low amount of iron in your body make you crave ice?
    some girl told me this and i didnt know.
    has anyone every heard this?

2. justjoshoh

I've never heard of that, but low and behold I found a reference to it here on the WWW. I can't speak for the reliability of the source one way or the other, but I guess it is a starting point.

3. ketivnilloc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Craving ice isn't really a reliable way to diagnose anemia. If you have low iron, you would bruise easier, and bleed easily.

4. donnie5

i actually have heard that from a couple people as well but i don't know if it's true you should look it up on the net

5. donnie5

i found this on mayoclinic.com

"Doctors use the term "pica" to describe craving and chewing substances that have no nutritional value — such as ice, clay, cornstarch and paper. Craving and chewing ice (pagophagia) is often associated with iron deficiency anemia — although it may be associated with other nutritional problems as well. In some individuals, pica is a symptom of emotional problems, such as stress, obsessive-compulsive disorder or a developmental disorder.

A thorough medical evaluation can help determine if pica is due to an underlying medical condition. If the cause of pica is an emotional or developmental issue, cognitive behavior therapy may be helpful."

hopefully that helps you

6. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Yes, craving of ice and clay are pica and can denote anemia. For one particular person I knew, her ice craving meant she was pregnant.

Overall, cravings indicate a lack of something in the diet and underlying disease until proven otherwise.

7. Vampyrecat

I craved Ice really badly when I get bronchitis for some reason. even if its the middle of winter, and its not even to keep my fluids up, its to crunch the ice. I love crunching ice. But It also happened a lot cos I was really anxious. and I mean REALLY anxious.

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If you are craving ice then, from what's been said above, a visit to the doctor for a check and a blood test seems like a good idea. Then you'll know for certain, and can begin the right treatment or diet change to deal with it.

9. Kimi

I actually heard that too.
    Never really thought about it too much but it seems like true!!

I wonder why ice tho:confused: