1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Paranoid Me

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Witchcraft, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

I really don't know why but I get really nervous or anxious around people, which sometimes makes me look like an even bigger wierdo that I already am. Maybe I just feel that people are always judging me, which is recent because I don't recall behaiving like this when I was younger. And this isn't like a little bit nervous or shy, I just totally freak out and I'm always stuttering or talking really fast or holding on to something to ease my anxiety. I can't even make my hand stay still because it's always like trembling. I'm so paranoid, I always worry about every little thing or mistake I make. Another thing I tend to do, which bothers me the most is that when I was a bit younger alot of people like my friends or mom told me that I walked kinda wierd which really pisses me off -.- and I try to hide this by walking faster or maybe keeping my hands in the pockets of my jacket or sweater (not in my pants cuse I'm not cool enough for that -.-) since I've also been told that I have a wierd way of walking without moving my arms -.- I just fear that all these anxiety issues will get worse as time goes on.

Also just yesterday my friend told me that I often look suspicious or like I did something wrong since I'm always acting all nervous even when I'm trying not to, which is something my mom has told me in the past -.- and I also remembered when my grade 7 teacher was teaching the class a new word which was seedy and used me as an example saying that I sometimes look seedy or up to something

Is there anything that I could do in order to make me less anxious or paranoid? I've also been thinking if there are any pills or medications I could take. :help: ?

2. zerogravity

Pills sound like a bad idea to me - well unless your doctor prescribes something essential. One thing you could try is breathing exercises, meaning try to sit in a comfortable position and take slow deep breaths.

The other thing you could do is try to avoid caffeine or sugary drinks, and try to get adequate amounts of sleep. At 16, you should be getting 8-9 hours a sleep per night. Any less and you could be chronically sleep deprived.

The third thing is food - are you eating properly? Are you getting some exercise every day? So anyways, to summarize:

1. Breathing slowly in a comfortable seated position (try to count to 10 each inhale and each exhale, do for 5 minutes each day, preferably in the morning before you eat)
    2. Sleep 8-9 hours per night
    3. No caffeine or sugary drinks
    4. Proper diet
    5. Daily exercise

These are the things I do to reduce stress and anxiety, and it's working out pretty well for me. If that still doesn't work after a couple months, it might be a good idea to talk to your doctor about it.

3. Skiel

Skiel Guest

You sound like me. Everyone says that I walk weird because I don't move my arms when I walk and I walk REALLY fast as if I am mad :lol: As for when I'm standing still, it's obvious that i don't know where to put my hands. I look rather rigid and "box/angular" like. I also have this REALLY embarassing problem that happens whenever i'm around people and it makes the situation even worse. i won't mention what it is because IT IS REALLY EMBARRASSING. I literally cry over it :frowning2: The only time i can act a little more natural is when I'm talking to a friend or I am doing something else (therefore reading a book, texting, etc.) If you are preoccupied with doing a task, you won't think about being anxious hopefully. Another thing you can do, is to breathe whenever you are around people. Just breathe in and breathe out and keep telling yourself that you are not being judged. I'll be honest though that the breathing exercise has never helped me before. My therapist told me to do that, but it might work for you. Another method that sometimes work for me is to take my toes and scrunch them inwards so that I can really feel it and then let go to relieve some tension and relax. Just try to be more confident and relax!! I know it's easier said than done but keep at it! I'm in the same spot you are in! We'll keep trying to be less socially-awkward together! :lol:
    Good luck! :slight_smile:

4. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Thaankyou Skiel, it's nice to know I'm not the only one feeling so anxious all the time xd and thank you for your advice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Zerogravity, thankyou for your advice, I'm not too sure that breathing exercises help me much, I always try to avoid eating sugaar cuse I kinda don't like sweet stuff, but I don't get alot of sleep I usually sleep only 4-6 hours sometimes less :s and I guess I'll find some form of daily excercise for myself since my mom has also been telling me that

5. The Falcon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been there, I and guess I am still there...

It is the homosexuality that's causing the paranoia... So first of all, don't do the following:

1. Don't take any medication! They will just numb the pain, they will make you feel less paranoid, but it will only disguise the pain, it won't cure it.

2. Same goes for drugs and alcohol. They offer immediate relaxation and relief, which is temporary, deceiving and wrong. The day afterwards you will relapse right away, I promise. And before you know it, you will be craving more and more distractions.

What should you do then?

1. Exercise! This sounded very stupid to me, but in reality it helped me tremendously. It will build over time, so don't expect an immediate relief. But I promise after a few weeks (I am running, and it saved my life) it will make you feel better.

2. Paranoia and anxiety thrive on fear and imaginary scenarios. The moment you face the truth you shall be free. People suffering from arachnophobia (fear of spiders) imagine all sorts of frightening scenarios in their heads (spiders crawling on them, spiders entering their mouth during sleep, spiders hidden in their room etc.). So their mind comes up with all sorts of mechanisms that will stop the fear. The person might inspect their bed every night which grows into an obsession or more specifically a compulsion. They soon realize that what they are doing is stupid, but they can't stop themselves, because their mind makes them believe that by enacting the ritual no harm will come to them. The person is trapped, thinking that they are protecting themselves, but in reality they are torturing themselves.

What does that mean. Well you have to face the reality. Either accept it, change it, or leave it! Simple as that. If you feel the need to come out to your friends/parent/therapist then do it! Don't over-think it. If you want to be with a person of the same sex, just do it! You shall feel fear and anxiety, but at the end you shall realize that you are free. You won't cure the paranoia entirely, but your mind will have a legitimate reason to be paranoid and anxious. You won't obsess over the unknown, but over a specific thing... Having an obsession over a specific thing can be liberating...

3. Get help here, with friends, books, the internet! And just face the fear!

I am here if you need me!