1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMI stats

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Giorria, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Giorria

Giorria Guest

Does anyone else get annoyed when you hear or see someone mention BMI when it comes to weight/health issues or something along those lines? I'm talking both in and out of the internet.

2 weeks back my Doctor got a bit confused with what weight I should be at, because apparently I don't look as heavy as I am (and no its not muscle haha). He actually recommended roughly 35-40 pounds over my recommended weight would be more healthy for me. I don't consider my weight an issue and it wasn't why I was there, but he did the measurements anyway. If a professional in the health service cant get a straight answer with BMI, then why do people rely on it so much? BMI seems to be one of those things that bothers me when it comes to people talking about their weight now simply because of the above.

What are your views on it? Do any of you use it as a source of information to help with weightloss?

2. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In theory it's a fine idea, but it's HUUUGE pitfall is that for the same height, an obese person could weight as much a say, a body-builder; the BMI of the obese person would be truly reflective, yet the same measure is given to the body-builder who'd probably be given a much better bill of heath.

Personally I don't agree with it at all, I think, although an admirable concept, is in reality ridiculous and I can't take it seriously for the above reason.

3. Gumtree

BMI is being thrown out the door with riddence by most health professionals.

When it comes to weight and health when it's a concern, imaging and blood lipid sampling are more commonly used as they give a much better indication of what's really going on.

There's so many variables that influence your weight at any given time that the BMI can't possibly be credible any longer.

The weight difference between two people solely due to the amount of sodium in their diet can be massive, and that, directly, has no influence on your body fat - just as an example.

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I use it as a general guide, just to see what range I should be in, but that's about it.

5. suninthesky

I think it works for the middle of the road part of the population, but I'm an athlete so I don't put much merit in it.

6. GuardianKitten

Im on the upper edge of underweight.
    But I'm also recovering(ish) anorexic, so that's to be expected.