1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running Advice?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Black Cat, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've recently decided to take up running again, as I've "found" about 15 of the 40 pounds I lost last year. I want to do it right this time, and since I know nothing about jogging I figured I'd ask for some advice. I have done it before, but something tells me it can't hurt to learn some proper techniques or something like that. So my question to you all is, where would be a good starting point? How would I go about starting a jogging regimen? What about stretching? Basically, break it down for me. I know very little about actual exercise, as the only crunches I have ever willingly done involved a bag of Doritos. I am not horribly out of shape, but I am not exactly cover-model material either. I'm basically taking jogging up as a means of fitness yes, but also a means of relaxation and stress relief.

Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks in advance everyone. :slight_smile:

2. Gumtree

Like most things involving your body, the answer is quite simple. If it hurts, don't do it.

In regards to technique, it will be completely individualised to you, and especially to the shape of your feet, my only suggestion is to look out for anything that causes discomfort or pain in the knees, feet or ankles, then adjust accordingly.

Avoid running on concrete/solid surfaces when possible! Grass really is the better option!

The more of your body you move at any one time, the more you burn, keep up a good arm movement rythm and you'll find the whole process will be a lot smoother and more beneficial.

Stretching is about blood flow and temp, and there's no use stretching muscles you're not going to use. So the best stretch for a brisk jog, is a moderate jog! The best stretch for a moderate jog, is a slow jog, etc etc.

10 minutes should do, but always make sure you spend another 10 minutes at the end doing a slow jog/walk for cool down; it'll make you feel a whole lot better that night and the next day!

3. Rikudo

Stretching is always key and really even if you think you're just going for an easy jog I'd still say to do it before and after. It's better to be safe than sorry.

4. DareToEatAPeach

I too have recently taken back to jogging and I'm finding it hard to get back into. I don't know any advice on technique or anything like that, but for me, I need someone else to run with. I always run with my friend Mike and it really encourages me to keep getting up in the morning. If I were to try to go out by myself, I would continually press the snooze button on my alarm and never leave my house. Running with someone else also creates a little competition, which can help with motivation too. So do you have anyone that would be willing to go out with you?