1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Tips needed] Running on a Marathon [I want to survive!]

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jay, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Jay

Jay

I am running half a marathon tomorrow, that is 21 1/2 ish KMs (We don't use miles, so I don't know about that!).

I would like to know, what tips would you give me to not die in the middle of it? I've trained a bit for a while and I know I... will eventually complete it, but what things can be helpful for one to not die? Thanks!

2. Danny19

well thats around 13 miles i believe.. anyways. i did a 9 mile run last year. since your thing is tomorrow theres not much what to say. I trained for about a month because i never ran that much. the day of the race get a healthy breakfast, drink a lot of water, motivating music if you are using and ipod or mp3. and most important in my book is to pace yourself. its not a race so try to pace yourself. Go at the pace you feel comfortable with, if you feel like if you are getting dizzy or just dont feel good slow down and stop, stretch a little then go again. It doesnt matter if you are the last runner what matters is that you finished... i also heard that pretzels can help you go longer without being thirsty. because when i ran they gave that out in different stops...good luck on your marathon and try not to die. :slight_smile:

3. TriBi

Start at a sensible pace - if it is your first race of this distance - probably run a little slower than you feel like you should at the start. :wink: There will be plenty of people who go out too fast and suffer later - don't be one of them. If you pace yourself sensibly (realistically) and come home running fairly strongly - you will be surprised how many people you will pass in the last few km who will be really struggling.

I hope you have a good meal with plenty of carbohydrate and fluid (not alcohol) the night before.

During the race, make sure you keep hydrated - drink plenty of water and (presuming they offer it) some sports/electrolyte drink.

Most importantly - enjoy yourself :slight_smile:. Try and get into a good rhythm and leave enough gas in the tank that you have the ability to push yourself along - and hopefully past people toward the end of the race. Remember a LARGE part of finishing a of long distance race comes down to mental strength. Convince yourself you can and will do it - don't give up (unless you have a real injury). Tough it out and you will be proud you did so. Good luck - hope you enjoy the sense of achievement when you finish!

4. Jay

Jay

Thanks for your advice, gladly I didn't die and I did get a medal for participation. I was last, though, but it was fun! I loved the police officer who yelled to me from like 100 feet away "GO SON! YOU'RE ALMOST THERE!" and it gave me the push I needed. :grin: