1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could coming out save my health?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Bi As A Kite, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Bi As A Kite

Hi everybody!

I thought I'd tell my story as well. Here goes:

So I've had a stress-related illness for just over 2 years now, and it goes away for a few months then comes back (and i don't want to put specific details in case someone works out who i am...paranoid? Yes.), and I'm trying to treat it with a good diet but the stress thing is always there.

My family would think i've got nothing to be stressed about right now, but...I've recognized myself as finding guys attractive as well as girls for a few years, but the don't know that.

Here's the thing: I'm pretty sure they'd be ok with me being bi, but...two of them jokingly use the phrase 'arse bandit' for any guy they see on tv or something who is slightly good-looking, athletic, tanned or even overly-smiley. I'm starting to really hate this phrase. It makes them sound like neanderthals, which they aren't, plus it's a bit disrespectful to me. I'm not uptight/easily offended - i make light humour/can do impressions/get a but annoyed by people who are overly camp (NO offense to people who are, though:thumbsup:) - but this really gets under my skin. If two guys kiss on tv, two members of my fam. make ''eeeeurgh'' noises while I'm sitting there thinking "You better get used to it, ****s"

So, am I getting subconciously stressed which in turn is making me ill, and could smacking them all with a coming-out statement shut them up and make me feel better about myself?

Sorry for the mini-essay, I love writing and always feel the need to put sufficient detail in. Thanks for enduring!
    ---------------------------------

(!)

2. TheWanderer

As far as your family is concerned. Things change when an 'arse bandit' is in the family. Just because comments are made doesnt actually mean they have a problem with alternate sexualities.

Stress wise, I cant really say Im not a trained professional. However, I will tell you my experiences. Most of my teenage and early adult years(ya im still young) were spent with a high level of stress, depression, and social anxiety. I spent years talking to a therapist to no major avail. This made me furious. Until I started coming out. Over the past year the relationships with the people I have come out to have grown much stronger. People see me as happy and healthy instead of miserable derick. Work has become a much better place, my co-workers look up to me. My sister, whom for a long time I didnt talk to is starting to ask me questions, comes over and chats from time to time. All because I truly am a happier person for not lying to myself and everyone else.

So as I said a definitive answer cant come from me. But my experiences show that coming out was a major help to my overall well being.

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You will probably feel far less stress from having to hide yourself constantly.
    Your friends just don't know about your orientation and are just saying things that any average straight teenager would say.
    Most of this seems like it would go away by coming out, but of course I can't be sure.