1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Gonorrhea Superbug Discovered in Japan

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Revan, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I know this is usually more for people and their health questions, but I think this is the best place to post this.

Gonorrhea superbug resistant to all antibiotics - thestar.com

So guys and gals, even though it's over there right now, please play safe. If this comes over from Japan, it could be a much higher risk for sexually-active teens. Who knows, maybe they could find a cure eventually, but the way it's sounding, this could almost be another HIV-like thing, and of course catching gonorrhea as it is makes you more susceptible to HIV.

2. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the info. Yes I heard about it before.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It certainly won't be HIV-like, it affects the body in a much less devastating way and won't ever have anywhere near as high a morbidity or mortality rate, regardless of antibiotic resistance, thankfully.

As far as HIV susceptibility goes, gonorrhoea and HIV may have a correlated relationship, often going hand in hand, but not necessarily a causative one: the same correlation holds true of all other common STDs too; people who have high-risk sex are far more likely to contract more than one STD (including HIV) because of their behaviour exposing them to multiple diseases, which they in turn may spread all or some of to others. "Nearly 50% of people infected with gonorrhea also are infected with chlamydia" says wiki. I don't think any of them really increase HIV sensitivity more or less than a case of the sniffles or a bit of food poisoning.

#3 Pseudojim, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011