1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self acceptance and troubles with weight...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by dragonflyfairy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. dragonflyfairy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been working on accepting myself and all my quirks in general for a while. I keep getting hung up on my weight. Yes I know there are many things I can do to help in this area and I'm working on mustering the self worth to care about this area.

I seem to be linking this back to my sexual identify and acceptance that i'm struggling with. Not only do I feel like I'm bisexual and am attracted to both male and female genders, I also feel like I'm poly- amorous and the love I have for partners in my life is better multiplied. I'm hard on myself because it is so difficult to live behind closed doors with each of my relationships seperately instead of being open. Which is stifling for both my efforts of self acceptance and my physical health due to the emotional eating.

A vicious cycle.

I'm surely not the only one who is dealing with this. Any tips on helping to get out of this rut... and move forward on both areas?

2. LemonCake

I am also an emotional eater and struggle with weight. My emotional eating is related to past childhood trauma and anxiety, however. I think though that I have learned to eat healthier, though it is a SLOW process.

Since I have had to overcome so much in my life and do so much self-improvement, I have realized that change tends to come in little steps. I also try to work on several things at once, each a small amount at a time. Try replacing food for comfort with another thing that comforts you but is healthier or at least has no effect on your health.

As for accepting yourself, well... that can be a slow process too. I've been in denial for almost a decade, and only now can I just simply accept that I am a lesbian. It's hard though for me to figure out how to go about getting and partner and coming out of the closet and all that though so I'm still conflicted about it.

I think eventually I'll be able to be fully open and live life fully with my sexuality. I also think that while I'll never be a supermodel or star athlete, I can still be slim and healthy if I work hard on realistic goals.