1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strep Throat

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ShebbsIsAwesome, Aug 3, 2011.

1. ShebbsIsAwesome

This is the second time in the past two months that I have gotten strep throat... Is there something I should worry about? I am usually not this prone to diseases... Before my last visit I hadn't been to the doctor for like a year.

2. Stuie

Are you sure it's strep throat? Did they take a throat swab? If it's come back in this timeframe, it could well be something else. Strep throat is really easily cleared by antibiotics, so it should have totally gone away. One thing about it is that getting it once doesn't confer further immunity if I remember correctly.

Hope you get well soon! I'm on antibiotics for strep throat now in fact and I know how much it sucks!

3. ShebbsIsAwesome

yeah, I wasn't diagnosed with it yet today, but last time I was. I looked at it and it looks similar to what it was last time.

4. KaraBulut

If you suspect you have strep throat, you should see a physician. Strep throat can cause very serious complications and should be treated with antibiotics.

5. ShebbsIsAwesome

yeah, I had a negative on strep, they tested me for mono (negative also). they gave me pills for strep because the doctor said that they often get false negatives. I am feeling SOO much better. I kinda wish I did have mono though... that would be kinda cool. *sigh*

6. Meropspusillus

You do not wish you had mono. Mono is not a nice place.

7. ezkill

I thought I was told by someone that if you get strep throat more than once, then you have to get your tonsils removed. Is this something stupid my imagination conjured, or is it true?

8. KaraBulut

Not a nice place to visit either unless you want to feel like crap and be in bed for weeks on end.

Not usually. Thirty years ago, the tonsils and adenoids were routinely removed in children because it was believed that they caused chronic infections. What we have come to realize is that these glands are part of the immune system, so the swelling and inflammation that are seen in these glands is part of an immune response. Today they are removed only as a last resort.

9. ezkill

Wow, that was very insightful. Thank you. So does that mean I can't eat all the ice cream I want if/when I get strep throat? I have always wondered how deep, if any deeper at all, my voice would sound if I had my tonsils removed... hmmm, food for thought...

10. KaraBulut

You can eat whatever makes your throat feel better. The only caution I would suggest is to read the warning label on your antibiotics- with some of them you're not supposed to consume dairy.

The tonsils wouldn't affect the voice- at least not under normal circumstances. The tonsils are located in the back of your throat- most of the time they are barely visible- you can see them on either side of the base of your tongue behind the end of the mouth.

[​IMG]

#10 KaraBulut, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  11. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    have a look at this site... it suggest that someone close to you is a carrier.. It is nothing seriously wrong with you.

Strep throat - PubMed Health