1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can males have a period similar to females?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by cdstephany, Aug 3, 2011.

1. cdstephany

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Can males have a period similar to females? I am a male but have always been feminine on the inside. Approx every 4-5 weeks ish I get real emotional to the point where I just want to cry for no reason at all. My abdomen cramps. I usually have runny bowel movements. I feel like my hormones dont know what direction to go in. And I get moody as hell. Ive had this since early teens and some months are worse than others. I have always joked that it was my time of the month but I figured that I would ask here because if anyone knew, or is going through it too, then I would be able to find them here at EC.
    thank you,
    <3 Stephany

2. Mogget

Yes, males have hormonal fluctuations just like females do. The fluctuations are less pronounced, but they're still there.

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say yeah, though I don't think you can track a man;s monthly like a womans, we just flux hormones differently. Plus I think things can set it off, like when you see a male monkey freak out because he caught wind of a female in heat, that kinda thing.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well not really. Kinda-ish. As others have said males have fluctuations of hormones. But, typically males hormones are supposed to be pretty regular all the time.

5. theWorldisYours

Male hormones fluctuate on a daily schedule instead of a monthly one. Male testosterone levels drop in the middle of the afternoon, around wish. This is why some males get sleepy, and irritable around this time.

6. Stuie

This doesn't really sound like the normal hormonal fluctuations of a teenage male. A few more questions if that's ok: is there ever blood in your stools at that time? Have you ever been checked for being intersex? It does sound curiously like you actually have your period each month. The abdominal cramps when people with female genitalia are actual cramps in the uterus. It started the same time as your period would with the same regularity. I assume you have relatively normal external male genitalia, but correct me if I'm wrong?

Sorry about all the questions, but it does actually sound like there's something going on other than just hormones playing up. Because I'm on my phone, I can't actually see how old you are or where you are, but you could see your doctor about it and try to get a referral, although I'm personally not sure to what kind of doctor, but I'd guess an endocrinologist.

7. Melusine

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a phantom period, since phantom pregnancy is possible. Maybe because you feel so female your body is giving you a 'period'? I am NOT a doctor and I don't even know if this is possible. Either way, I'd see a doctor, as it could be something more serious. Good luck, hun. Xxxx.

8. cdstephany

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well, Im 33 and Ive always been girly on the inside ever since I can remember and at one point I actually wondered if I had both parts. There has never been any blood and Ive never had anything come back on an xray from the doctors (I do admit that I dont go to the doctors unless something is really wrong). Nor have I ever even told a doctor about my girly side. I did however have many physicals for sports and boy scouts. EC are the only people that currently know about this side of me. Its just something that I noticed over the years. I am the father of 2 daughters so I know that the male parts work. But the female side of me has been coming out more and more as time goes on. Im currently feeling the symptoms starting yesterday and its been about 5 weeks since last time. My wife has even noticed (even though I never told her) that I get this way about once a month. I cant even talk to her about it (its a long story for another post).
    Maybe it is a mental thing like a phantom period as I do live in a house with 3 females (2 of which have regular periods and my youngest daughter isnt old enough yet) and Ive just started accepting and embracing my female side the last couple of years. Although I can remember in my teen years feeling the same way and repressing/hiding it as boys werent supposed to be/act that way.

I do appreciate all the help as Im still trying to figure out who/what I am. If you have any more questions I would be happy to answer them.
    Thank you
    <3 Stephany

9. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @cdstephany

Just a quick insight as to what Stuie has said. My Husband was born with both male and female genitalia, but his parents opted to remove the female parts while he was still a baby and was put on hormone pills to keep his body in a male form instead of a female form.

He effectively still have the fallopian tubes and everything else. Though his monthly cycle come through his penis and appears in the stools. The doctors have told us that if he does wish to go for a sex change that he will actually give birth just like any other woman. This is very rare according to the doctors and the one doctor told him that in Southern Africa, he knows of only 3 such cases.

On the sad side though, hubby did fall pregnant, but due to our situation at the time and lots of stress he had a miscarriage about 3 months into the pregnancy. As soon as our situation improves we will try again.

10. ihkcs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    @Thylvin
    that is such an interesting case! is your husband still taking male hormones or did he only take them during puberty to develop into a physical boy? so sorry to hear about the miscarriage and i hope he can get pregnant again. i'm fascinated by how unique your story is.
    @stephany
    I know that when a lot of women are living in the same house, they tend to pick up on the same menstrual cycle period, this happens with female animals as well. i don't think it's uncommon for men to "cycle" along with them in an emotional way, however the cramps and loose bowel movements seem to not match up. i wonder if maybe when you get emotional or PMS symptoms that there is something you eat every time. like maybe you are getting a food craving for ice cream? or bread? try to look at your diet around these times. you could have a slight food allergy that you are exacerbating with emotional food cravings...? i dont know, just an idea

11. maverick

I agree with this. It would be one thing if you just felt the mental symptoms, but cramps and diarrhea are physical symptoms of PMS...and to be honest your entire description sounds just like a female's period.

You might want to get some CT scans done to check for residual ovaries or something like that...I don't know if this kind of stuff shows up on regular X-rays, especially if the doctors are not specifically looking for it.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can have mood swings based on hormones, but without female sexual organs, you can't have a period.

The word 'period' might be a convenient describing word for it but hardly appropriate given your anatomy.

And yes, it is possible to be outwardly male with vestigial female sex organs, but that's extremely rare.

13. Mad Man L

I'd be inclined to agree with those saying that you need to get yourself checked out.

Guys who are 'just guys' will have changing moods, but no periods. My moods are sort of like the weather, life gets increasingly more shit and I get grumpier, then something happens (a change) and everything is better again.

14. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey
    Interesting thread, I've never heard of men having cyclical hormonal peaks and troughs. On a biological/survival of the fitness level that would not be the case because men need to be prepared to impregnate females at every opportunity. Therefore I imagine their LH/FSH levels may alter during a day but not on a regular monthly basis. You yourself have said you have fathered children so there is likely no physical reason to explain these symptoms. There is a condition called endometriosis which afflicts women with severe period pains. This condition can very rarely affect men, however almost all case reports are in old men treated with oestrogen.

However thats not to say that you don't suffer from annoying symptoms. Given that you feel very feminine and you feel that part of you is woman then your psyche can make your body mimic certain conditions. The brain is a powerful organ. If you believe it there is even a condition where partners of pregnant women go through morning sickness (look up couvade syndrome).

As for having scans to make sure you're not half female... I wouldnt worry about that. Your goods were good enough to produce children, so thats proof enough.

Good talking point anyway!

15. Noir

I think you're an exception to the cycle that males have and that it happens so often they barely notice it (I'm no expert, though....=.=). Females I guess have "bigger waves," which is why there are pills to control the fluctuations during pregnancy or periods.