1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anbesol...extended use repercussions?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Steam Giant, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Steam Giant

So I just bought a vial of Anbesol this evening for a toothache that's been simply paralyzing. I read on the warnings that if pain persists for more than 7 days, you should discontinue use and go see a professional. My question is simply, why? ^^ Are there like serious repercussions to using Anbesol for more than 7 days? Or is it just the idea that the thing causing the pain is only getting worse while you're covering it up?

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Exactly! If you have a toothache for that long, you have a serious problem that needs attention. Go to the dentist. :slight_smile:

3. Jerr

I have some of that... that stuff like KILLS your feeling lol. Twas funny.

If pain persists... it means one of two things....

ONE.

The medicine isn't working.

TWO.

Something WORSE is happening... (which could explain number one.)

4. CrimsonThunder

What does Anbesol do? Does it try to fix the problem or just coat it. If its just coating it thats why if it goes for longer than 7 days its because you're not fixed, its the same as panadol. It covers up the headache but if its still hurting after 2 days it means something serious is wrong.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree with Becky and Tom. Pain killing etc treatments are for relieving the symptoms of the problem for a few days to make it tolerable, and/or as a first approach to fixing it. If it doesn't get better on its own or with the use of the product, then you need to go and get it sorted out properly because it could be something more serious.

In this case if the toothache is caused by a bad tooth then spraying stuff on it is not going to fix it. It would need dental treatment such as filling or extracting. If not it could get worse (for example if you get it done quickly it may just need a filling but if you leave it it could need extracting).

If it's a bit more than 7 days before you get to a dentist then it's unlikely to do any harm. But you certainly shouldn't be using it continuously for weeks on end.

If it's no better in a day or two, get yourself an appointment at the dentist to get it sorted.

6. Steam Giant

Thanks everyone for the advice! The only problem is, I'm not insured, meaning that a dentist visit will be expensive. Not that regular health insurance covers dental problems...you tend to need special dental insurance for that, and those plans are usually pretty bad (best I've heard is, you pay half, the insurance pays the other half)

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well, usually communities have free clinics for people who are uninsured. Try to look into some options. Really, I don't mean to frighten you, but if you have an abcessed tooth that can get into your blood stream and you will be in serious trouble!

8. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Yeah I think that it's for two reasons.. yes it does just cover up the problem and if the pain hasn't gone within 7 days then there's something serious going on which needs to be checked out by a professional.

Secondly, like anything your body will become to get used to the medication the more you use it. So like alcohol whereby if you're new to it you'll get drunk on a glass and the more experienced drinker may require 5 or 10 glasses. If you use pain killers persistently, your body builds up a resistance, so suddenly 2 weeks later, three or four pills may be needed to do the job that one or two did before.

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

And if you take four pills four times a day you are getting close to the overdose limits, and risk other problems as a result.

I searched on Google for "Pennsylvania free dental care" and found this page. http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/cwp/view.asp?a=174&q=232221. Looking through that page it looks like there are some options you could investigate....

There are contact numbers on the page. Give them a call and see what is available to you.