1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I get shiny, silky hair?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Lukee, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Lukee

I know I've already got a thread going on in this topic, but this is completely unrelated. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I've used loads of shampoo & conditioners, but none seem to make my hair shiny or silky. My hair is straight, thick (but i get it thinned out), and about as long as my profile picture, although that is a horrible picture and I really should change it to a newer one.

Have you got any tips on how I could get it this way, or what products I should buy? Any help is appreciated, thanks. :grin:

2. I have pretty healthy hair normally, but I found it got even better when I either a) stop washing it every single day AND/OR b) wash it every day with a sulfate free shampoo that doesn't strip my hair and scalp of ALL of its natural oil.
    I use organic, sulfate free shampoo. It's got a different consistency because it's natural, but my hair looks great. What happens with a lot of shampoos is that it strips away every little bit of oil from your scalp (and some of that IS supposed to be there) so your scalp goes into overdrive creating oil and makes your hair look greasy if you don't wash it again the next day.

The other thing is, comb your hair from roots to ends periodically. Do it gently. It's all about getting the natural oils that your body creates to be in your hair. Not so much that's it's greasy, but enough so that it's healthy and shiny.

I also hear that taking vitamins can help your hair be healthier, but I obviously don't know that for sure.

---------- Post added 12th Aug 2011 at 12:14 PM ----------

OH, and make sure you cut it regularly.

3. Lukee

Yeah, I've got into the habit of washing it daily. And if I don't one day, it feels slightly greasy and i just wash it anyway. I've read about sulphate-free shampoos, and that look quite good. Is there a certain one that you use?

And I do quite often comb my hair, and I've started having it regularly cut /again/. I might go into some shops in town and see what they recommend. Thanks! :grin:

4. Currently I switch off between some store brand sulfate free stuff that I can't remember the name of and a Burt's Bees shampoo. (Do you guys have Burt's Bees over there?) I trade them off depending on how I want my hair to smell haha.

5. Lukee

I have never seen Burt's Bees here, ever.
    However, I hardly go into any cosmetic shops, let alone look around in them. But I just googled it, and could buy some from Amazon, and their prices look reasonable. :slight_smile:

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use olive oil sometimes, just put a little in a bowl and a bit into your hair and let it sit for about an hour then rinse it out.

Makes hair smooth, but don't do what I did the 1st time I tried it and put so much in it was like a damn salad, just a bit will do

7. Lukee

I just laughed so hard at that! I instantly imagined lettuce and stuff entangled into someone's hair. :')
    I'll try this out, thanks!

8. TraceElement

Get Silky Hair Using Home Remedies
    Here is a website I found. It has a handful of home remedies, which will probably be a little cheaper if you are watching your wallet.

9. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hi there, I'm a hairdresser here in the states, could you tell me how oily or dry your hair is? and is it damaged from heat or from coloring it?

your best bet is to go to a salon and get a glossing treatment or a deep conditioning, both are pretty cheep, they range from 10 to 30 bucks around here, (dunno what thats equal to in euro's)

10. Lukee

Thanks, will definitely read over these and try them. Money is not an issue, but I'd rather not pay like £15 for a bottle of shampoo. :confused:
    It's more a matter of principle. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 12th Aug 2011 at 11:50 PM ----------

Hey!
    I wash my hair every day, so erm... I'm not sure?
    It's not dry, but not moist. And it's not oily, and not not oily?
    I'd say it was just average.
    How can I tell if has heat damage?
    And absolutely no damage from any colouring/dying/bleaching. I only had my fringe died once, and I was about 9. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And I'd rather it be something that I can do at home by myself. :3

11. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    uh, well if there is a sally beauty supply store near you, or the like (not sure what compares in the UK) just pick up a clear demi-permanent, the girls there will help you find it, its super cheap and easy, but for really really down home, I know of a couple that actually work (we did them in school) such as putting beer on your hair, surprising but it works, or using a tiny bit of vinegar on a rare occassion, as well as putting mayo on your hair for like an hour and then rinsing it out, (which is a pain without shampoo)

12. Olive

I recommend Aussie Shampoo and Conditioners. Do you have them in the UK?

13. Katelynn

I am currently using Garnier Fructis Body Boost shampoo (as I wanted my hair to really have more volume) & then using the Garnier Fructis Pure Clean conditioner. I've found, for my hair at least, that I get a pretty good shine & softness to my hair, plus a little bit of bounce to it as well. It's really just a matter of preference & there are a lot of other products out there people have suggested to me, but I find what I have now is pretty good so far. Plus, I just LOVE how my hair smells after I wash it, just so clean & fresh!

14. Lukee

We have a Sallys and stuff here. :slight_smile:

Today I was in The Body Shop, and saw some sulphate free shampoo, so I went ahead and bought it, and got a paper bag. I also had a few other bags.
    About an hour later, I noticed a hole in the bag and no shampoo. D:

15. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    aww, that totally sucks, me so sorry D:

16. Lukee

I'm going to write an e-mail to them. LOL.
    They might have eco-friendly paper bags, but they suck.

17. Melusine

This is going to sound crazy but stop using shampoo. When you get in the shower scrub and rinse your hair as if there were shampoo in it, and rinse thoroughly, this will get most of the grime out. Then use an organic, sulfate-free conditioner (CVS sells a very cheap generic version of the loreal brand) and massage throughoutthe hair, including close to the scalp. Also - rinse for AGES! Leftover conditioner residue can make your hair look dull.

If you start to experience unbearable greasiness (you may experience a little while your hair readjusts), you can use a shampoo, but try to find a sulfate free brand (CVS also sells cheap generic shampoos that are no sulfate). And DO NOT wash your hair every day.

Also, you can make your own hot oil/deep conditioning treatment with a mix of shea butter and olive oil (this you WILL want to wash or with shampoo, because it won't come out otherwise). Just use equal parts of each and melt in the microwave (this should only take a few seconds, for the love of GOD do not put extremely hot oil on your scalp).

GOOD LUCK!

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2011 at 10:14 AM ----------

Just noticed you live in England and so will not have a CVS. Boots or Superdrug should sell generic, sulfate free shampoos too :slight_smile:.

18. ellipsis

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I just read through this thread and OMG.. I wash my hair twice a day and I use shampoo to wash it..
    LOL no wonder my hair isn't shiny at all.

19. Melusine

You might be interested in googling the various 'no-poo' methods. I myself am not completely no-poo, more what I like to call low-poo, lol, because my hair still gets greasy occaisionally. Right now I am using shampoo once a week. You can also use baking soda as a natural alternative to shampoo. Taper yourself off slowly, you'll feel gross if you just stop washing your hair twice a day (WHY do you do that? Do you work out a lot?). First of all, switch to a no sulphate brand. Second, continue to wash your hair once a day, and then use conditioner the other time. Then gradually taper down to one day shampoo, one day just conditioner, and see how you feel from there. Not everyone is the same, so decide a place that's good for you. Because you wash your hair so often, your scalp will be EXTRA dry and you may encounter a 'greaseball' stage for a while. This is normal, it's your body fruit to compensate for the damage done to the scalp.

Also, try the hot oil treatment I mentioned above. Since your hair is so dry you'll want to leave it in for a while. Apply the oil and the wrap plastic wrap around your head to hold it in. Wear a bandana over it and spend the day cleaning your house or something. Wash it out at night.

And don't you dare let me catch you using shampoo twice q day ever again! Grrrr!

20. smallhammy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This will sound daft but a friend of mine has long hair and he uses fairy liquid. All you have to make sure is you don't get it in your eyes. :lol: