1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Workout/exercise advice

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Gdom76, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Gdom76

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I start college in a week or so and they have a full gym that is free for students and I would like to start working out there but I haven't been to a gym before.

General Information for reference: Male, 18, ~116 lbs, ~5'11"

I have the metabolism of a chihuahua on crack and I have never had any problems being overweight (I used to eat really fatty foods and I hardly ever exercised and I still didn't gain much weight).

For the last 5-6 months, I have been running 30 minutes every other day and on the days that I don't run, I do some sit-ups/push-ups. I also try to only eat foods low in fat.

So could anyone give some advice for someone that would like to start going to a gym that hasn't been to one before? Also what should I eat based on my metabolism etc. I will be getting a meal plan so I will have to eat what they have at college but I think that they have many healthy foods at the buffet/cafeteria place.

I don't expect that I will be able to go to the gym everyday since I would have class.

#1 Gdom76, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. KaraBulut

Fat is actually a good source of calories and it is necessary component of your body's metabolic processes. When people say "fat", they think of fried foods or desserts. But both peanut butter and cheese contain fat but they're also great sources of protein- and for a college student, they can provide a quick nutritious snack between classes.

Usually, for a beginner going to the gym 3-4 times a week is plenty. You should focus first on general strengthening and core exercises first. Then begin to focus on different body parts on different days of the week- usually try to hit arms, legs, shoulder, chest, etc once a week.

There's some good general rules here.

There's some basic exercises here.

Something you might consider: a lot of universities require a PE class for undergraduates. Give some thought to using your PE class to take a basic strength training or basic yoga class for the first semester. Then for the second semester, take a basic muscletraining or bodybuilding class.

3. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is a very funny workout routine.... I am so sorry that this is from a blog... but it's the Gay Times magazine's blog and not actual users accept the staff of Gay Times Magazine

Superhero workouts - Blogs - GayTimes

4. Thomas Miller

Well i suggest you to do 30 minute running in the morning. Walking is also good exercise. If a person do these exercises regularly he can live healthy life.