1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flashing lights = Alien Abduction?!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Lady Gaga, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Lady Gaga

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, when I am going to sleep I see bright flashes of light. Sometimes it's blue, pure white, or orange tinted. They always scare me, so it's hard to fall asleep. It'd probably be quite funny to watch me go to sleep. :x

I wear these while going to sleep by the way. So it's not any outside lights. And I turn off everything, and my room has no windows (yay basement) anyways.

Just wondering if this is normal? o.o

2. Emberstone

what you are seeing are actually very common. it is called hypnagogia, and is actually quite normal. it manifests itself differently for different people.

For me, I first see waves of just percivable light washing over the blackness of when I close my eyes. I would best describe it as water moving over a uneven surface, so it fills certain areas quickly, but always drains back to black. sometimes, as I get closer to sleep, I will see geometric patterns, usually in blacks and browns that are kinda like a kelidascope, but not. Rarely, I do see flashes of colorful lights, usually like tiny pinpricks or stars that burst into existance before fading away.

here is more information: Hypnagogia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sometimes see large colour blobs. Its like large coloured flash lights that shines on a white wall. these lights move around and sometimes intersects and where it intersects it changes colours. Sometimes its images of things i have thought about the whole day, like trees, but not in photo quality, more like a silhouette on a light background.

I always thought is was normal (And thanks to you Emberstone for pointing out that Wiki page and thanks to you Lady Gaga for asking about it) so I guess I was always right.

4. Lady Gaga

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How interesting, I never even heard about this. I tried finding out on Google and I kept finding people saying it was angels so I gave up.

Thank you! o:

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    emberstone called it.

I get these too blobs of blue, green, orange flashes.

Angels...Aliens sorry not likely. Just your eyes adjusting to the dark

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was taught the term was "phosphenes", and I used to see them a lot more readily than I do now. I also would get a sensation of movement when I laid down and turned out the lights. I'd feel like my body (and bed) was rotating slowly around an axis located just beyond my feet. I just gradually learned to enjoy the rather bizarre light-and-travel show. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. Zontar

Aliens? Get real. What you're seeing is most likely one of many hallucinations that tend to occur as you fall asleep or as you wake up. This is actually the beginning of how dreams form, as dreams are nothing more than very vivid sensory hallucinations.

If you learn how to control 'em, you can embark on a lucid dream!

8. Lady Gaga

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since people are having trouble, the alien comment was obviously a joke. -_-

That's..that's weird!

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I spent a day swimming in the waves in the ocean or at a wave pool, or something of that nature, when I'd lay down I'd feel like my body was physically moving back and forth in a motion like the waves. Hasn't happened in a long time. It was relaxing though. lol.

Anyways, I see the speckles, not much else. But, I don't normally look at or notice them.... they are not very noticeable. I guess I'm not looking.

10. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love that feeling... especially if you just came out of the swimming pool or beach, then go and bask in the sun... oh my gosh i love it LOL (!)(!)(!)(!)

11. Emberstone

i know. I love the sensation of spinning and falling. I used to get it when I was more focused during my meditations. I find it rather soothing, kind of like you are on the bow of a ship riding the waves... its even funner on a waterbed.