1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting tested, appropriate health precautions while still a virgin

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SecretColor, Aug 18, 2011.

1. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    So the title pretty much says it all. I personally plan on getting tested when I get back to school because then, even though I'm still a virgin, I'll have concrete proof that I'm disease free should I be asked. My next question is, are there any health precautions (like getting a Hep vaccination) I can take? Obviously I plan on using protection unless my partner is also a virgin (and even then I still might) but chances are I'd be the 0.00001% or something like that where the condom would actually fail, and I'd hate to get something that could have been prevented.

If it helps, I'm on my school's health insurance, so anything I have done should be affordable if not free.

2. Hitchhiker

Well I know there's the HPV (Human Pappilovirus, I believe?) vaccine, which prevents against genital warts and cervix cancer (in girls). It's usually marketed towards women but I think it'd work just as fine for men.

3. KaraBulut

The hep B vaccine (which is typically a series of 3 injections) is always a good thing to get. And as Hitchhiker mentioned, the recommendation has just changed to include the HPV immunization even though it doesn't cover all the strains quite yet.

4. Melusine

I just had a convo a little while ago with my doctor about hpv. The problem is, it doesn't usually present in men and If it doesn't present there is no way to test for it, so that vaccine is a good. Hpv is hard to transfer is you use condoms, but you can't be too careful. Also, there are a couple hep vaccines but you can't vaccinate for all kinds, I think hep C is the one you can't vaccinate against. For the most part, I would recommend using condoms and not giving unprotected oral sex until you get Ito a serious monogamous relationship, then you can both get tested and make your decisions from there.

Well done for being so responsible :slight_smile:.

5. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    all those are good recommendations, but I'd also think its a good idea to get a little practice with how to put on a condom, if its not put on right, its not gonna be effective.

6. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    Thanks guys for all the great advice! I am actually planning on waiting until I'm in a relationship to do anything, so the two of us getting 'together' would make sense. I'm pre-med so I'm probably cognizant than most people about taking care of myself, but I just wanted to make sure all the bases were covered.

7. KaraBulut

Lex and I both have suggested this to others. It seems like an easy thing to do but in the dark, when you're in the heat of moment, it can be a really clumsy moment trying to lube up, get the condom out of the wrapper (you're not supposed to use your teeth by the way), put it on in the right direction, unrolll it and put it on with lube on your hands.

So, buy them ahead of time. Practice putting it on. And then make sure they're handy when there's an even remote possibility that you're going to have sex with someone.