1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Pulling

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by FruityFascism, Aug 27, 2011.

1. FruityFascism

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About a year ago I read about oil pulling. The Wikipedia definition is "a traditional Indian folk remedy that involves swishing oil in the mouth for claimed oral and systemic health benefits." I a ton about it, and today I tried it after brushing my teeth.

I didn't have any sesame or sunflower oil that most people use. Instead I used olive oil. The recommended time is 10-20 minutes. I only lasted 7. It was weird. That much oil in your mouth at once is a very different feeling. It turned a frothy white, and was just odd, but I think I'm going to start doing it to see if I get any results.

How do you feel about it? Who thinks I'm crazy? Is anyone here an avid oil puller? Have small space aliens ever landed in your brain and told you to break into the zoo and free all of the kangaroos?

2. Mogget

Wiki says there's a specific bacterium species it may protect against. In general, though, I'd say that oil pulling is likely no good. When a treatment is referred to as "alternative," "traditional," or "folk" medicine what it means is that there's no evidence that it works. To quote Tim Minchin:

3. Stuie

Well the problem with doing straight after you've cleaned your teeth is the fact, no matter how hard you try, there will probably still be some toothpaste, which is going to foam up rather unfortunately with the oil I'd imagine.

Personally, I've never heard of it before. It couldn't do too much harm, although I probably wouldn't swallow all that oil. Even then, I doubt it's going to have huge positive effects either, but whatever floats your boat!

4. Mogget

Swallowing the oil shouldn't be a problem. Vegetable oil is healthy and good for you.

5. Ridiculous

A full mouthful of oil is about 25-30% of your daily intake of energy. Not something you want to be swallowing.

Plus you'd probably puke from the sensation of it going down your throat, and I doubt your stomach would be very happy either.

6. FruityFascism

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very true. I am a complete skeptic of most things like this, although at the same time I hate actual medicine :eusa_doh:

For now I'm going to try it out for a while. It wont hurt, and it might be beneficial.
    As far as swallowing it, I read it is best not to. People claim that you would be swallowing the bacteria you are trying to expel from the body.