1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bass Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SecretColor, Aug 27, 2011.

1. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    So the title is pretty self-explanatory. Anytime I'm somewhere music is playing with really heavy bass (like a concert) I get the most wracking migraine, so bad that I actually have to lay down. Is there anything I can do to address this, or it just the way things are?

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    have you tried ear plugs?

3. -Michael-

This is quite strange.

It might be low frequencies?

See your doctor if its something that's affecting you on a day to day basis.
    If not, try the above

4. ezkill

I thought I'd chime in and let you know that loud BASS tends to give me the same feeling as motion sickness -- the vibrations make me nauseous. I would think that the intense, low vibrations have an effect on fluid in the ear canal. You can't really wear earplugs if you are driving and hear low bass, so maybe I'd just see a doctor and see if there is anything that can be done about it, assuming it affects the quality of your daily life.

5. Veronica

It is very hard to block out low frequencies with earplugs. But yeah, give it a try ...

6. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    Thanks guys! I think it might certainly be something with my ear canal, because whenever I get a migraine, I can feel the vibrations from the bass course through my body (that sounds weird but it's the truth! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). It only really bothers me when there isn't a barrier between me and the speaker i.e. at an outdoor concert, but I have free health center visits at school so I'll take advantage of one.

7. technoddot

Sensitivity to bass like that would definitely suck-- I love the feeling of bass.

But, sometimes if I listen to music too much and/or too loudly, I can get a headache. That is probably an indicator to turn it down, though. It's never been extreme enough to call a migraine.

8. Katelynn

I actually worked in the Detroit music industry for 4 years, & ended up in countless small clubs with the exact same problem. Here's a couple of tips I picked up to deal with it.

1. Always bring ear plugs to any gig you go to. Not only does it help to diffuse the low bass sounds in your ear, it will also protect against soe pretty nasty hearing damage. If anyone makes fun of you, so what? You'll still be the one able to hear 20 years from now. And you probably won't be the only one in the venue wearing them either.

2. Acoustics are key. If you know the place you're going to be in, learn the space in terms of acoustics. Some places are designed really well & some not so much, while some are just totally crappy. Find that place acoustically that sort of diffuses the sound but doesn't mar or muffle it from where you are.

3. If it's a small venue, hang back a bit & avoid being up front. Small clubs still have big sound systems for when they have bands playing, so stay away from the front. More than likely, you might end up standing right in front of one of the amps, which will totally screw up your hearing temporarily & permanently. If your ears are ringing for a day or two after, chances are you were too close & the band was waaay too loud, either that or the sound guy doesn't know jack about what he's doing.

4. Hydrate. What? I know it sound stupid, but I've found that when I'm dehydrated, everything just feels worse & I feel like I survived a train wreck. I tend to drink a LOT of water when I'm at gigs, for one, it's cheap or free, depending on if you go for bottled or not, and two, it helps the body cope sometimes with a variety of things by keeping you, well, hydrated! Alcohol + intense sound vibrations = massive headache. If you drink water tho, you're wits & your head don't feel quite as bad.

5. Finally, know your exits. If things just get to be too much, get out of there. Don't force yourself to push thru to the end, get some air for a bit & then head back in. Some places have outdoor areas for smokers, just avoid them & get some air. It also give your eardrums a MUCH needed rest from the sonic assault on them.

Hope this helps!

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are expensive (~$20) ones designed specifically for concert safety. I highly recommend.

10. ShebbsIsAwesome

Oh my god, when the bass hits me I start smiling and laughing, I love it.