1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

depressed

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Snowden, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Snowden

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a while but recently I've just been really depressed and this seems like a good place to post. I don't really know whether it's depression in the clinical sense, but for the past month or so I've been thinking often about hanging myself. Occasionally I even have dreams about doing so, but now I'm having trouble sleeping as well - taking hours to get to sleep at night and waking up at odd times of the morning which the Internet suggests is related to being depressed (I'm always wary of Internet self-diagnosis as it's pretty much a hypochondriac's dream, though).

I think it's related to my living a very solitary life at present as well as a huge course workload (I'm posting on my second all-nighter in as many weeks). Every day, I get up, go into lectures, work on projects (I'm an architecture student) and then go back home, work some more and go to bed. When I put down the model and turn off the computer, there's nothing else in my life.

Anyway, the sleep thing's affecting my ability to work with any effectiveness so I think it's time to see someone about this. Does anyone know how I might go about doing so in the UK (on the NHS)? It seems like mental health-related stuff isn't publicised nearly as well here as across the Atlantic.

2. biisme

i'm sorry. i'm not from the UK so i don't know. i'd just like to say, i'm glad you're looking for help. please don't hang yourself. or do anything else. please.

everyone here cares about you. <3 <3 <3

3. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Im from the uk :slight_smile:, hi u shud ge a phychiatrist i think or a support gorup or councilor?

4. EthanS

EthanS Guest

U shud go to a GP not keep diagonsin ur self online bcoz there not always right, hav ya tried sleepin pills?

5. Snowden

Yes, I mentioned the inaccuracies of the Internet (what? The Internet's not always 100% correct?), I just wasn't sure if that stuff falls under the remit of GPs. I haven't tried sleeping pills yet - do they make it harder to wake up in the morning?

Thank you, biisme and EthanS, for your help. I think I'll be OK for the next couple of days until my term ends. It's odd how drastically a little thing like a Zap Brannigan-heavy Futurama episode can improve my mood (I know, meant to be working...). And it was good just to vent this stuff at people who don't know me in real life.

6. biisme

u can always vent here! we <3 u!

i'm glad u feel a little better, and i kno how frustrating the internet can be....**growl**

xo biisme xo

7. panda

Hang in Snowden!!! Don't do any thing drastic.It's not your life you want to end,it's the way your thinking and that can be changed.
    You made a great move by posting here.There's many people here that can help you and give you the advice you need.

8. Jim1454

Sharing your feelings about these kinds of problems is just about the best thing you can do... so welcome to EC! I hope you do find some comfort here. I also hope that you find some help to get you through this rough patch. It can and will get better... I promise. I've been to that very dark place, and come back out of it again (thankfully!).

I've always though architecture was a VERY cool (sexy!) field to be in!

9. Kimi

Try sleeping pill first and find some time to see a professional. It does make you harder to wake up in the morning if you don't get enough sleep. Some pills need least 8 hours of sleep so if you don't get 8 hours sleep then you might find it hard to wake up.

I'm thinking about studying architecture next year at uni...and I know it's a tough one so hopefully you'll make it through and I'll somehow too(*hug*) (*hug*)

10. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Welcome to EC.

If you see your doctor, you can be referred to counselling or some other support groups. Some surgeries will provide this on the NHS. From what you say you sound as if you're at Uni. All Unis have student welfare officers. You won't be the first student to be feeling like this, so the welfare officers have a wealth of experience. Have a chat with one. They can help and point you in the right direction.

Good luck :icon_bigg

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I would stay away from sleeping pills. You need to find out the source of your problem, not mask it over with a drug. I would suggest you seek counseling.

12. Snowden

First, many thanks to everyone who posted here. Reading your messages of support was an enormous help at a difficult time. Since I last posted, work pressure has eased up a lot and I find it strange that I was thinking this way only a few days ago. But I was thinking like that, and that's got to be a sign I should seek help even if I don't feel that way now.

I've looked into counselling and discovered my university has a counselling service. I've emailed them to make an appointment, as I think there are some parts of my life I need to re-evaluate and now is a good opportunity. If they think it's due to a proper mental disorder, they can refer me to a doctor.

It is, and it's hugely satisfying when a project comes together. There is a kind of Stakhanovite culture around it though which can be rather destructive - at a restaurant with a few other architects, we repeatedly tried and failed not to talk about work.

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you need answers/advice about studying architecture and applying to do so

13. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Glad to know our advice was useful to you. :thumbsup:

14. panda

Snowden,Very glad you're going in the right direction.

15. Louise

Bromptonrocks took the words out of my mouth. Your GP will know where to refer you if he feels that this is appropriate. GPs deal with physical and mental health issues.

For the sleep problem have you thought about homeopathic medication? I am very against over the counter sleeping pills and most good GPs no longer like to prescribe sleeping pills except in severe cases.

Boots stock quite a good range of homeopathic medecin, or many health food shops. There is 'Sedatif PC' made by the company Boiron which is very effective. Rescue remedy can help calm your nerves and help you relax. If you go onto their web site they explain all about themselves. Again I have found this to be very effective in bringing me 'back from the brink' without having to resort to prescription drugs.

Once you get some sleep and feel calmer within yourself you can start looking at yourself, your life and the things around you that are upsetting you so much.

Good luck :kiss:

16. Kimi

Aww, glad to hear that(*hug*) (*hug*)
    I hope you won't have to deal with this again, maybe it's good to get know the doctor...just in case when you need his/her help:slight_smile:

Actually, I already got accepted:slight_smile: But I'll keep that in mind...and hopefully I won't bother you too much:grin: