1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gluten free Foods

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Michealleo, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Michealleo

i guys i've needed some advice on gluten free foods . i am living with a celiace disease and it's really difficult for me to figure it our eveytime that waht to eat or not . please give me some list of gluten free foods . i'll be really greatful thanks .

2. Bi As A Kite

Pretty much all grains.
    pretty much all processed foods.

If i remember correctly, gluten actually comes from wheat, so you could try getting into that mentality - that if it contains rice, wheat, oats, rye, etc., then it most likely contains gluten.

Do you read food labels? Sorry if it's a stupid question. Same for this: have you found a local health food shop? When i found mine, i spent nearly two hours in there 'cause i was bowled over by the sheer choice of celiac-friendly foods.
    I;ve seen gluten free pasta, biscuits, crisps, yogurts, chocolate bars, organic baked beans (<3) snack bars, loads of things.

-from someone who's has colitis for about two years now.
    PLease PM me if you want more help and stuff with finding foods; i've already done a lot of searching myself and would be happy to help. :slight_smile:

#2 Bi As A Kite, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All white grains: pasta, bread, rice. Have gluton. Avoid the frozen food section, anything in there had gluton.

4. Emberstone

tip: ask around at your local grocery store. as more awareness comes to these conditions, more and more stores are setting aside portions of some aisles for gluton free products.

5. KaraBulut

Gluten is a protein found in wheat. So, the foods that you must avoid are all things made from wheat and wheat flour. This means that you cannot have most commercially prepared breads, cookies, pasta, crackers, cakes, pizza, sandwiches/burgers, etc. You will need to check the label for things that say "flour", "wheat flour" or "enriched flour".

Also in people who are extremely sensitive to gluten, you may need to watch for starch additives. For example, gluten may be added as a thickening agent in surprising things like hamburger meat, soups and salad dressings.

Sugars derived from wheat flour can be labeled as "dextrin" or "maltodextrin". These sugars do not contain gluten but some people do claim to have reactions to them.

Corn, rice, beans and potato are all gluten-free. There's also special gluten-free flours that you can use to make your own foods. Some grocery stores may have things that are advertised as "potato bread" or "Jerusalem artichoke bread" but you still need to check the label to make sure there's no wheat in them or they should be clearly marked as "gluten free".

There's a list of alternative flours that you can use here.

Several gluten-sensitive people I know bring their own food to dinners and events so that they can eat with everyone else and not have to worry about gluten that may have been added to the food during preparation.

Probably the best advice for you is to make an appointment with a Registered Dietician (RD) and ask them to help you develop a personal diet.

6. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might also search around online for recipes involving gluten-free products. One of my friends has to get these foods due to her condition and she's found some pretty good recipes for meals (it has certainly given me some ideas about how to eat healthier, even if I'm not gluten-intolerant). With diet foods sometimes taste is compromised, but it doesn't have to be. Just figure out what specific things you need to avoid and then play around in recipes with what you can have.

7. Holly27

Hello! I can't ingest gluten either, but lately I've discovered a lot of delicious gluten-free substitutes for common foods made with wheat.

Here's one of my big favorites: Thai Kitchen brand rice noodles and rice noodle soup. I used to eat a lot of ramen before I got diagnosed, so I was happy to find these noodles. They're usually made with rice and/or tapioca. They usually have "gluten free" printed in noticeable letters on the package. At my supermarket, I find these in the gluten-free or health foods section.

There are many noodles made of corn, quinoa, and rice. You might be able to locate Schar products at your store. Their gluten free tagliatelle style noodles are delicious, and I've been using them for a number of pasta recipes. The best part is, they don't feel or taste much different from regular wheat noodles.

Schar also makes breads out of rice, potato flour, corn flour, and apple fiber.

I've also found gluten-free chocolate chip cookies! They're a little crumbly and made with brown rice, but they're pretty good. If the chips are too soft at room temperature, keep the cookies in the fridge so they don't make a mess.

You don't have to stick to specific gluten-free companies. Many huge companies are taking wheat flour and gluten containing ingredients out of their processed foods, like snacks and soups.

Many Frito-Lay products, including chips and dip, contain very little to no gluten.

Some Progresso soups are now gluten-free, including New England clam chowder, chicken and corn chowder, and chicken rice with vegetables. These are usually marked by a big yellow label with the text "Gluten Free" on the can. If you're not sure, a soup is gluten free if "GLUTEN FREE" is printed in bold text in the nutrition facts.

I've recently discovered that plain Junior Mints are safe, if you like chocolate and mints. The last time I went shopping, I found that the label on the back said that the candies were made in a factory that does not use peanuts or gluten.

If you like beans, I just learned that Bush's Best products are gluten free. Last year, they took the wheat flour out of one of their recipes and put corn starch in instead. And they're delicious. :grin:

General Mills is creating a lot of gluten-free options. Many varieties of Chex (rice, cinnamon, and chocolate, for instance) are made with rice and therefore safe. I've also tried the Betty Crocker gluten-free yellow cake and chocolate chip brownies, which taste great as well. Speaking of cake, most frosting is gluten-free, but check the label to be sure.

If tomatoes do not aggravate your GI tract, Heinz ketchup is gluten free too, and it comes with and without high fructose corn syrup.

Many restaurants offer gluten-free menus. Wendy's has a nice selection, and some restaurants offer noodles made with rice or spinach. Where I live right now, a pizza parlor called Happy Joe's will make your pizza with gluten-free crust if you ask for it.

And... that's all I can name off the top of my head. I'm still getting used to the diet and experimenting with recipes myself. :slight_smile:

8. just b urself

not to sound stupid but what is gluten exactly?liek ive seen soem things say Gluten free on it,but i dont know what it is.and also what is celiace disease if u dont midn me asking?

9. Holly27

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease affecting the digestive system. People with this disease cannot ingest gluten, because doing so causes an inflammatory reaction that results in unpleasant symptoms like diarrhea. It can also cause a number of problems absorbing vitamins and minerals, leading to vitamin deficiency and organ trouble.

The only known effective treatment is to give up gluten entirely for life.

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, so people with celiac disease have to avoid wheat and all products made from it. Gluten can also be found in rye and barley. Oats may or may not be safe. Many doctors say they're okay to eat, but others warn that oats may be contaminated with gluten when kept or processed near wheat. With this in mind, some companies selling oats make sure they are kept away from wheat at all times and will say so on the package if they do.

Food manufacturers are not required to list gluten clearly on their ingredients lists even if it is present in the food, but many additives, especially in processed foods, contain gluten, and this can trigger a reaction. This is why people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity have to read labels carefully and be on the lookout for things like "emulsifiers" or "food starch".

Some people with celiac disease are sensitive to milk as well.

I did find that my body could tolerate milk products a little more after I cut the wheat and gluten out of my diet, though.

#9 Holly27, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011