1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insomnia problems?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TheLilyTribe, Sep 24, 2011.

1. TheLilyTribe

For the past week I've gotten hardly any sleep and it's starting to affect how I function during the day. My mum is too paranoid to give me sleeping medicine so does anyone else have any other ideas?

2. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A month or two ago I had insomnia problems and besides medicine like benadryl that makes me sleepy, other things that sometimes worked included:
    --exercise during the day to get rid of stored up energy
    --a glass of wine with dinner or before bed
    --reading (perhaps something not too exciting so you don't get engrossed in it)

Reading or another activity to help get your mind off stuff can help in falling asleep. My insomnia was mainly due to over-thinking about my current crush and anxiety about the people I still need to come out to. Finding a distraction might be the best option if you are also dealing with relentless thoughts that trouble you when you're laying in bed waiting for sleep to come.

Good luck!

3. ukeye

ukeye Guest

I used to have cronic insomnia.. It is generally a psychological disturbance in my opinion.. generally lifestyle related.

I really know how tough it is!! I would sometimes not sleep for 3 days straight a few years ago :frowning2:. Really was difficult, and I was studying at the time.

You are young though.. sometimes it is all part of growing up. The best tips I can give:

1. Avoid sugar, caffeine, alcohol
    2. Exercise regulary
    3. Get a routine - don't go to sleep too early, but get your body clock on sync with a certain time each day
    4. If you are tossing/turning and can't get to sleep - remove yourself from the environment and sip cold water in another room
    5. Don't overstimulate your mind - TV/Computer/Reading too much in your room can do this.

Hope you start sleeping well soon!

4. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oops! I should have seen the OP's age before suggesting the wine tip. I don't want to encourage under-age drinking. My bad! Anyone 21+ years old in the states might consider it though if also dealing with insomnia.

5. TheLilyTribe

Thank you both for the advice, I'll give some of that a try. Minus the alcohol before bed. :icon_wink

6. Zontar

Most cases of primary insomnia are psychological IIRC.

You would probably be best off figuring out what's keeping you stressed or agitated at night.

7. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    counting sheep could help...

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    try tiring yourself out. go for a run a few hours before bed.

9. RedState

I'm a chronic insomniac. If you are looking to go the medical route, I would stay away from the over the counter meds...they really didn't work for me and all I got was a slight head ache the next day.

I take prescription sleeping pills (Ambien and Ambien CR)...but, do do it like I do. You are SUPPOSED to take them for like 2 weeks so your body can get into a regular sleeping pattern. Hell I've been taking them every night for 6 years, so my body is dependent on them. But if you use them properly it might help your body get back into a normal routine.

For the non-medical route, the above said advice is good. Try not to consume any caffeine after 6pm. Alcohol, when you are old enough to consume, may help you initially get relaxed and doze off...but booze also prevents you from getting that deep, REM restful sleep....and a lot of alcohol (especially wine) has a lot of natural sugars in them, so that disrupts your ability to sleep as well. Also avoid large meals at or near your bed-time.

Some type of regular "right before bed" routine really helps (I don't know many that can come in from doing something and go straight to bed). This may be reading a book or something...anything that will help clear your mind from the day's busy activities. Try and go to bed at or around the same time every night.

#9 RedState, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  10. starfish

Don't use you bed for any thing, but sleeping and sex. That way when you lay down your body will know that it is time to sleep.

I've found that to help a lot.

11. FloatingPiano

I have had/still have a bit of a problem with insomnia as well. I don't know if it's the same for you, but I found most of my sleeping problems have come from stress or anxiety related troubles.

I was so worried about coming out to my mother, and at the same time I had a falling out with my best friend of 10 years. And I was losing many nights of rest over everything.

Then, I came out to my mom, and I started sleeping more. And then I made up with my friend, and I now get much better sleep.

So, my advice to you would be to try and find the things that are stressing you out, and try to better cope with them. Stress relief really make a difference in sleeping patterns.

12. starfish

Stress can very easily keep up up at night. I've found myself away in the middle of the night worrying about something going on.

I find that it happens at two different times. The first is when I am falling asleep. I deal with this by visualizing that I am flying an airplane. I find this helps me clear my mind and I am able to fall asleep. I find it so efective that I use it every night, no matter my mental state.

The second time is when I wake up in the middle of the night. This is the worst because I will lay there is a half awake/ half asleep state. I'll get hung on some little detail of what is going on for up to an hour at a time. I haven't found an effective way to deal with this. Other than just wait it out.

13. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I was a chronic suicidal insomniac, since dealing with my emotional/spiritual issues, I sleep amaazingly well! :grin:

---------- Post added 17th Oct 2011 at 06:55 AM ----------

A few ways to help is listening to calm music, like instrumentals, just lay down, close your eyes and don't think about going to sleep, then empty/clear your mind.

#13 Z3ni, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
  14. KaraBulut

There's an earlier thread with some good suggestions for insomnia. You'll find it here.