1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scary PMS symptoms?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by midwestgirl89, Sep 29, 2011.

1. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry if this is weird to talk about but I was wondering what you all think or if you've got a similar problem.

I've noticed that lately when I am about to have my period I get really moody. It happens the week before my period. Sometimes I'll be borderline suicidal (although I'd never kill myself) and other times I'll be really angry. Then I'll randomly get hyper and will be bouncing off the walls. The scariest part about my PMS is when I get really depressed. It doesn't last that long usually but when it happens I start wanting to die. And when I get angry during PMS I might go off about something that would normally not be a big deal. My heart will race and my face will get really hot. I will want to lash out. Sadness is more common than anger though. I don't show others my anger/sadness but I was wondering if this is normal for girls/women to go through.

I also have physical symptoms like more headaches and bloating. I start wanting to eat chocolate (no surprise there). What do you all do when you are PMSing or do you even PMS? Is it normal for big mood changes a week before you start your period? For me the emotional PMS goes away when I start the period and I will then start having more physical pain. The physical pain sucks but isn't as scary or unpredictable as the emotional parts of PMS.

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that's something to be a bit concerned about. I don't know too much about PMS but those don't sound like normal symptoms. The scary thing is feeling suicidal and having your emotions running wild. I know PMS affects your hormones but it seems like that's a lot. Maybe try making an appointment with your doctor and explaining this to them. It couldn't hurt. Or ask the next time you have a visit. Either way, I would get a professional's opinion.

3. RaeofLite

I get INCREDIBLY moody right before I start my period. I get really irritable over the littlest things and sometimes have to chomp on my tongue and 'walk away' to avoid igetting upset over something someone said or did. Then again, I am going through something in my personal life so... not sure.

Do you eat enough iron and other vitamins, minerals and, healthy foods?

4. Chandra

Big mood swings can definitely be a normal part of PMS, but it does sound like yours are more extreme than average, especially if you are having thoughts of suicide. I would recommend you talk to both a doctor and a therapist about this issue.

5. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your responses. I haven't been eating that healthy lately because with school I tend to eat more junk. But the PMS has seemed worse for the last year or so. I can look at my diet more and try to get more exercise. I get a lot of energy too when I'm PMSing so it can either go into hyperness, energetic anger, or energetic depression.

I might talk to my counselor about it but I would feel hesitant to talk to her about feeling like I want to die at times.

Sometimes I think it sucks to be gay just because I am in a bad mood/in pain two weeks out of the month and if I get a girlfriend one day with the same issue on a different schedule we might always be in pain/emotional every week of the month.

6. RaeofLite

I know that diet plays a big part in my cycle. I cut out most junk food, and exercise the week before I get my period, and it has helped by lessening the back pain, and flow. Healthy diet also helps with moods. Eat more fish, lean meats and veggies!

7. suninthesky

Pretty much the same thing all around happens to me. If you ever find a solution, posting it here would be great. GL

8. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Thanks I'll let you know if I find anything out. Do you get scary depressed during your PMS?

9. seeksanctuary

I would talk to a doctor... but beware. Some women get stuck with a "PMDD" label, and it has caused serious issues for some women; I have heard of one woman who was dismissed by a doctor as simply being "PMDD" and it turns out she had an extreme pelvic infection.

So basically, if you feel you need help, seek it. Just take what you hear worth a grain of salt, do research on your own and ask questions. Don't let them slap a label on you and try to medicate you without being educated about what they're wanting you to take, and why.

Hang in there.

10. I get almost the same thing when I PMS as you just described. I talked to my gyno about it and she had put me on the pill. It worked relatively well when combined with a high does of ibuprofen but I ended up allergic in a sense to the pill and had to stop taking it.

You should definitely talk to your gyno/physician about it and see what he/she has to say. The easiest thing they can try is a low dose hormone to see if they can balance out the 'lows' you're experiencing around that time.