1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay+Sex=AIDS?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ShebbsIsAwesome, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ShebbsIsAwesome

Somebody told me that gay sex makes AIDS. I am fairly certain that this is false, but I thought I would run it by you peoples. Somebody told me it was horrible to not use condoms because gay sex can create AIDS? Even if BOTH were virgins. Is this really possible?
    Thanks for your insight!

2. Kidd

Kidd Guest

No, that's not true. It isn't possible. The only way you could catch AIDS/HIV if both of you were virgins, is if one of you was born with it. You can only catch it from someone who already has it. It's a virus, you can't just "create" it.

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay sex, even unprotected, between two HIV- people cannot create AIDs. AIDs does not come out of thin air. This "someone" is pathetically misinformed. Like, seriously, his stupidity is laughably pathetic. Anyways, there is some truth. Anal sex is the riskiest form of sex when considering HIV. Same for male/female anal sex, though. And obviously, since men do not have vaginas (most), anal sex is the only option for penetration. Therefore, there's some truth. But use protection and the risk is slim.

4. Zontar

"Gay sex" doesn't pass the HIV virus as much as "anal sex" does.

5. Mogget

This was (and evidently may still be) a popular opinion during the AIDS epidemic of the eighties. AIDS was widely viewed as God's punishment for homosexuality (remember the "AIDS cures homosexuality" sign in Philadelphia?). Its viral nature wasn't known for some time and there was significant resistance to the idea in the gay as well as the straight community (there are still some people, some of them well-recognized doctors and researchers, who do not believe HIV causes AIDS).

6. crazyhead

No. If two people who don't have HIV/AIDS have sex, there is no possible way it can ever just create AIDS. In fact, the risk of transmitting HIV via anal sex is 15 in 1,000. For a bottom. 3 for a top.
    http://www.sfcityclinic.org/stdbasics/stdchart.asp

7. Ridiculous

HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) originated as SIV (simian immunodeficient virus, i.e. the monkey version). There are similar versions for other species, like feline (FIV) for cats.

SIV jumped the species gap to humans a fair while ago, and this almost certainly had nothing to do with sex - homosexual or otherwise. It was probably when someone was bitten by an animal with SIV or ate an infected animal.

You can't magically contract HIV unless you essentially ingest an HIV-positive person's fluids by some means. The most common way for virus transmission is (I believe) from drug use, when needles are shared.

There are more cases of HIV contracted from heterosexual sex than gay male sex (however this is because there are far more heterosexuals.. rates of infection are still higher in gay males because unprotected anal sex has the highest risk of any sex act. Of course this isn't limited to gay males though, females can also take part in receptive anal sex).

HIV will lead to AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) if it is left uncontrolled. Various medications are available to prevent this.

It is possible for virgins to have HIV without having any sexual contact: as previously mentioned above, it can be passed from a mother to child during pregancy/childbirth, or other methods of fluid sharing between people such as sharing drug implements, or blood transfusions. However once again HIV can only be contracted if the person you are getting it from already has it.

There is essentially zero chance of infection during anal sex if a condom is used properly. I would still suggest using a condom even if you are both virgins, or in a monogamous long-term relationship, or have been tested as being STD-free: better to be safe than sorry, people can always lie and tests aren't always accurate. And besides, HIV isn't the only STD you should be protecting yourself from.

8. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If two people have unprotected sex and neither one has HIV or AIDS then there is no way they can create AIDS. That just isn't possible. So yeah, whoever told you that is very misinformed.

9. ShebbsIsAwesome

Okay, thanks guys. I will use this information with him :grin:
    haha isnt it the same thing?:thumbsup:

10. Zontar

Nope. Straight people do it too. Increases in straight AIDS rates can probably be traced back to more straight folk having anal sex.

What I meant pretty much is that there's nothing inherently "gay" about the HIV virus. By circumstance (and biology), it just came to be associated with homosexuals. If the AIDS epidemic broke out in an earlier era, when gays were just shoved under the rug, you can bet it'd be known as a "poor disease" or a "black/whatever other race disease".

It's unfortunate, to be honest, but it's reality. That's why I try to get my fellow gays to sex each other up responsibly. Wrap your willy and don't fuck thousands of people.

11. maverick

No.

1/3 of gay men do not have anal sex, and 1/3 of heterosexual couples do.