1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hiv scare i need help

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DhammaGamer, Oct 10, 2011.

1. DhammaGamer

My friend just told me that a girl I had sex with 4 years ago ended up testing positive for hive abou 5-6months after. I got tested about 8 weeks after and tested negative and have had sex with the same virgin for the last 4 years. Am I at risk? I plan on getting tested again tomorrow I'm just freaking out right now

2. Katt

I'm a texan[: No.. we don't ride horses to school.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello DhammaGamer!

I'm no doctor, not by any means, but if you are getting tested soon, then there's no need to worry yourself sick from now until then. Worrying wont help anything, so I encorage you to take a deep breath. Innnnnnnnnnnn, ooouuuuuuuuutttttttt. And relax. I know, the thought of HIV is very scary, but from the sound of things, it's not very likely you have it.
    My advice: Get tested, and until then, relax.
    Much love!

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I'm kinda confused as to when exactly you got tested? You got tested 8 weeks after she did, or you got tested 8 weeks after you found out she is HIV+ or what? Or you got tested 8 weeks after you had sex with her?

You're probably not HIV+ if you already had one test done and it came back negative, but a second test won't hurt anything. Also, it might not be a bad idea to have the virgin you mentioned get tested too. If you have it, which I think is unlikely, you could have given it to him/her.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you had sex with her 4 years ago, and tested negative 8 weeks after having sex with her, your risk is pretty close to zero, especially if you've been tested any time since.

Additionally, female-to-male transmission with straight vaginal sex is lower risk than anal sex, so even if she was positive when you had sex with her, the likelihood of your having been infected isn't super high to begin with.

It's wise to get tested again in any case. No need to have your current partner tested and cause her any anxiety; if you're negative, assuming she hasn't been with anyone but you, then she's negative too.

5. DhammaGamer

Thanks for the replies guys. This has just been such a stressful week for me, and my dumbass friend just dropped this shit on my all nonchalant. I appreciate the advice. I'm doing a walk-in test at planned parenthood after work today.

I'm pretty sure my ex told me that she got an hiv test once while I was with her just to make sure. So I'm just trying to stay positive. Not to mention, the fact that the girl I had sex with has hiv is completely hearsay.

6. amadore

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should be fine, but I would get tested again anyway just in case. It can take up to 6 months for an infected person to test positive for HIV. (That's why if you want to give blood, the banks make you wait 6 months after getting a tattoo or traveling to a third world country. At least it's like that here in Quebec.) Better safe than sorry.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm I think you don't have anything to worry about. All I can say is 2 things. 1. Calm. and 2. Have you been tested since that test 8 weeks after? I mean regular testing is something common, so I'm just curious if you going in for a test now is your first test since that last one four years ago. But I really think you should be fine. Just remember, breathe, and stay calm :slight_smile:

8. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi mate
    We inform anyone who attends GUM clinic in the UK, that HIV testing is only reliable after 3 months of the original exposure. Its all to do with when an individual goes through seroconversion after infection, and in about 97% of people this occurs before 3 months. The test then works by detecting antibodies in your blood. After that 3 month window the test's specificity and sensitivity is very high, so hardly any false positives or false negatives. In rare cases a 6 month window occurs (ie. only testing positive 6 months after exposure). Your potential exposure was over 4 years ago so getting a negative test at this stage means that the chances of you actually having HIV is as close to zero as anything. Obviously not every test is full proof and if taking another test will put your mind at ease then for your psychological sake you should.
    Nicxx