1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wisdom tooth out healing process

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by thevedman, Oct 11, 2011.

1. thevedman

I've still got a dent/hole where my wisdom tooth was removed just over a month ago now... I feel stupid asking this but is it like healed within the hole? Sorry I know that sounds gross. I assume that within the hole the gum has healed but the actual process of closing up the hole in the gum takes longer, but it isn't really like a 'wound' if you get what I mean? Sorry random health related question playing on my mind! Any health professionals please tell me what you think!

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i have no qualifications whatsoever on this topic other than having had two wisdom teeth out within the past several months.

Like you, I was concerned about the hole (which is now a dent) and asked my dentist about it. She said it was normal, that it takes quite some time (months, I got the impression) for the tissue and so forth to completely fill in where the tooth bed was. It's all healed up now (no open holes or scars or anytning) and I've noticed the "dent" is getting less "dented" as time goes on so I assume that it's fine and normal. Hope that helps.

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it can take a while for the hole close then "harden" this isn't a dumb question, I asked the doc when I went back for a last check up after I had mine out because I thought they'd of closed up in a few weeks, I can taken almost 2 months.

4. KaraBulut

It can take several weeks for the gaps to fill in with gum tissue.

Warm salt water rinses will help. If you find that food gets trapped there, you can buy a syringe for oral irrigation and irrigate back there with salt water.

5. thevedman

Thanks guys, much appreciated :slight_smile:

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oh yeah to kara said, be sure an wash out your mouth AT LEAST twice a day. listerine is good, it tastes like crap but it's good at killing germs

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love original Listerine :slight_smile: Haha, off topic. It did take several months for the holes to fill in. As for the food in the voids, I put my head over the kitchen sink and used the sprayer with warm water to flush out the bits of food that got stuck in them and I also did the salt water rinses as prescribed by the doctor. Soon you probably won't really pay attention to the holes and then you'll think of it one day and they'll be pretty much filled in. It happens w/o noticing it.