1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Because I'm a hypochondriac...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Austin, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just curious, if anyone knows... can you work out so hard you damage your brain? ... Cus sometimes when I finish working out my head feels a little "cloudy"ish... like a tiny bit lightheaded and my ears get plugged sometimes. Idk, I just worry.... I try not to push myself too much but I don't want to not push at all!

2. RaeofLite

Do you eat enough food during the day? 1500-2000 or more calories is usual for most guys.

Do you drink enough water? Are you pushing your body too hard? Are you getting enough sleep? 7-9 hours a night? Do you smoke?

3. I'd say lack of food and water might be doing it.

Eat good before you go to the gym and eat good afterwards as well.

Also, you could see a dietician/nutritionist who can let you know what calorie intake is right for your body/exercise habits.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sleep enough, I try to drink a lot of water but I should probably up it. I eat enough food...

5. Zontar

I guess, if you have a pre-existing health condition like high blood pressure or an aneurysm it can cause a stroke, but I'd think that would be unlikely in someone your age.

6. RaeofLite

Considering you're exercising lots, you probably have to still eat more, and remember to eat from all the food groups. That's code for healthy food. :wink:

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe I do need to eat more... but my food is healthy. I eat lots of fruits. I eat vegetables. Have a majority whole grains, drink milk (no sugary drinks rly), lean meats... only vice is candy which I haven't had a lot! And maybe I do have high blood pressure... my heart rates always super high when I exercise =/ according to the machine. I can never excert myself fully because my heart rrate goes up past where it's supposed to be.

I ended up getting a really sore throat and a little bit of a stuffy nose so I think that's why my head is cloudy and hurts, to some degree... =s

8. Skyfire13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Note: not a doctor (but my mum is :eusa_danc) so take this with a bit of skepticism

No. You can't work out too hard that you will damage your brain under normal circumstances. Your body prioritizes the brain above pretty much every other part of the body so your brain will shut down the rest of your body if you are getting too close to the threshold where it may hurt yourself. You can however damage a lot of other parts of your body...

But- remember those stories about football players overexerting themselves during summer training. Yeah--that can kill you because you lose all that water and then lose the ability to get rid of all that heat. Don't do that. Drink lots of water. Eat Healthy. Try not to get sick. Otherwise have at it.

9. KaraBulut

You might bring a protein bar or other snack with you to the gym and eat it after your workout. See if that makes the lightheadedness better.

10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey sorry i didn't reply. Thanks for all the advice. :slight_smile:

My only issue is sometimes drinking water while i work out makes me feel sluggish and sometimes hurts my stomach and stuff. Any way to prevent this?

Also my head seems to mostly be back to normal... think it was because I was sick. I'll try to eat more and drink more water before.

11. ShebbsIsAwesome

Haha, I misread the thread and thought this all happened while you were doing homework. I was like "How do they know he works out? That's weird!" wowww.