1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bluey-tinged hands - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Kizz, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hiya.

well, I thought you guys may be able to figure out what this is, as it's slightly unnerved me, and it's definitely got my mum worried.

firstly, they are not constantly blue. it is not a constant issue. it is only occasional.

this first started happening a few months ago. I had to go help my dad chop down a tree in the garden. we had to cut off all the branches to put into bags. after about 10-20 minutes of constantly helping, my hands seemed to turn a little blue, specifically, at the joints.

I washed my hands, and after a while, it was gone. it happened again, and persisted until I washed my hands. well, I think. it was a while ago.

similar incidences have happened. whenever tired due to a successive line of jobs, or a tiring task, this repeated. I am not the best at menial work, so I do tire easily. I'm a gamer. AKA, spending nearly all waking hours at my laptop, nearly only getting up to fill dishwashers, remove rubbish from the living room, get food and drink, do the washing, cat tray etc.

it has of course happened when not tired, but rarely.

curiously, when I see it happen while in the shower, it does mostly wash off. which just adds to the confusion for me. literal blue dirt on my skin, like what you'd find under your fingernail, except blue. it's just strange.

most recently, I lugged 5 tie-up bin bags, brimming with early christmas presents, up the stairs. they were heavy, making me need to support them with my back while walking upstairs, by holding the bag behind my head. it once again happened, and slowly subsided over about 2 hours-ish

any idea what it is? It doesn't affect me at all when they do this, but it is causing some worry with my parents. I am a little concerned, but not all too much, as it seems perfectly harmless when it happens.

oh, a side note. I cannot really go to the doctors. I have very few mental-physical barriers, and taking off my clothes (Tshirt) for any reason is one of them.
    the other was to have my teeth where they were before braces. it got to a point where my mind literally dissolved into a single goal of removing them. I got some wire clippers, and did so, managing to somehow write a message to my parents for when they woke up, explaining it, as I would do when not crazily focused.
    so, when I say I cannot go to the doctors, I mean, I cannot at all go. because I'd know they'd use that heart thing, and I cannot go through with that. just thought I'd need to make that specifically clear. sorry for ending on such a bad note!

so, anyway, thoughts on what's happening? any idea?

#1 Kizz, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  2. Emberstone

sometimes, when I am short of breath, my finger nails turn from pinkish under the nail, to blueish in color. it more rarely extends to my skin, but has happened a few times when I was really out of breath.

in those cases, it was because I was not getting enough oxygen. oxygentated blood is red, and blood lacking oxygen is blue. your hands, at the etremities of a limb, will naturally have less oxygen in your blood than closer to your heart.

it might be possible you were exerting yourself, but not taking enough breaths in.

3. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmm. that may be why. I don't recall breathing that much while doing this.

also, just learned heart problems run in half of my family.
    though, I feel fine when this discolouration happens.
    I don't know what to think. now my mum's talking about blood samples, which is my third and last issue. I hate the thought of things cutting my skin. needles, knives, papercuts etc. all bad. x.x

4. starfish

I know you don't what to hear this, but you really need to see a doctor. When body parts start turning blue, that is a sign there is not enough oxygen, blood flow.

You shouldn't have these problems at 18. With a family history of heart problems, you get it checked out. When it comes to medical problems the sooner you catch it the better.

5. RaeofLite

6. KaraBulut

Just to clarify- this is a blue color on the surface of your skin and it washes off like dirt?

7. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean, I really cannot go. it's like a fear. I'm literally unable to let myself go. x.x

yes, strangely enough. it washes up if I have a shower. I also tested, and it does so wihen washing my hands with soap at the sink. it just goes away. no idea why.

8. flymetothemoon

It may not be that the color is actually washing off, but that something is changing in the way you are breathing or something when you are thinking about it and washing it off. When you wash, does the water and soap turn blue or does the blue just disappear from your hands?

Honestly, I know that you said you can not go to the doctors because of the issues you have, but is there any way that you might be able to if you have someone there to support you? Because this could be really serious if you aren't getting enough oxygen and your hands are turning blue. I completely understand phobias. My brother was legitimately phobic of needles (like, at 18 years old he would run and hide under things so as not to get shots). I know that you can't just "get over it" like some people would say. But I do know that if what you are afraid of is something that you need to do, there are ways to ease yourself into it. You could maybe try first going in and talking to a doctor and not getting the heart monitor and then if they think you need it, going back a second time with someone to support you (like a parent or friend) to get that part done with the same doctor you talked to the first time.

9. starfish

If there is poor circulation it should be that the heat from the water is warming up your hands. Do the same thing happen if you wash with cold water?

I know you have a fear of going to the doctor but, you're are an adult now. One of the things about being an adult is that we have to do things that we don't want to do or things that we fear.

As mentioned above get a trusted person to go with you, or ask the doctor to not use the stethoscope.

10. suninthesky

Maybe the water made your hands warmer making the blue color go away?

11. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that can't really happen here. I am relaxed nearly all the time (the consequence of no job at the moment, and living with parents), and when washing my hands, I was not agitated. if anything, I was curious as to why it was there. it didn't seem too much a threat, and my breathing was unchanged. the water didn't change colour, as I don't use conventional soap per-se.

my parents use washing up liquid, saying it's better, so I used that. it took a minute or so, but it went away, and has been gone since washing my hands with it

as for the doctor thing, I really could not do that x.x but, I'm happier now I know I don't have to, which I'll get to in a moment.
    it was cold water, so no :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and, again, I really cannot. it is just too big an issue for me to overcome. it really is. x.x

which brings me to what I learned over the last few days.

I don't want to go into details, but the blue stuff really was dirt. I did track it down to how it got there, but cannot really explain here. it is basically an issue I've had since forever, but it isn't harmful. if anyone posting wants to know, I'd be happy (to an extent) to talk on PM, if only to help so others in the same situation know as well. but, it is a rare issue that would effect nearly no-one in an entire school, I'd say.

I recalled this happening in the past, and found out then. I just wish me memory was good enough to recall that earlier XP

thanks for your help everyone! ^^ I actually thought of the answer while mulling over this thread, so it really helped! :slight_smile:

thanks again!! ^^

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, that's quite odd... I'm curious how "blue" dirt got there in the first place...

Anyways that problem may be solved but you have a larger one concerning your fear of doctors. You'll have to go to a doctor sometime. The only way you can get over your fear is by going. Nothing bad can happen. Honestly. You are capable of doing it; there isn't anything stopping you but some mental thing which you can overcome. Doctor's have seen quite a lot and you'd likely not be the only patient with a fear of doctors. Find someone understanding and take baby steps. Doctors are here to help you - utilize your access to doctors... some people are not so lucky. Overcoming this fear could save your life someday.

13. amadore

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like many people said, it could be that you have poor circulation in your hands and they just aren't getting enough oxygen. If the blue is ON TOP of the skin, however, then that's something different. I don't know any medical reasons why that might happen, but did you buy a new pair of dark wash jeans recently? The darker the denim is, the more dye is used on the fabric, and that dye can often rub off. (That's why denim companies recommend you wash dark jeans separately the first few times, so the ink doesn't stain other garments.) Plus if you're doing physical work and moving around a lot, you're more likely to sweat and wipe your hands on your pants. Otherwise, I have no idea.

#13 amadore, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011