1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chronic pain - are you in hell yet?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Ulia, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Ulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This is my first post, i reallly wanted to see at least one post of someone who is not elderly, still in 20s or 30s or younger who has and will have chronic pain. This is my story:
    I don't know if this was a final punishment for thinking I can do anything and nothing can kill me but it sure feels like it. Two years ago I started having back pain to the point I could not think talk walk every tiny movement was constant horror. It took doctors a year to give me a diagnosis, 7 surgeons to tell me that there is nothing they can do and that they don't prescribe meds either, pain clinic still deciding to do a surgical procedure, which set my progress 90 days back. They gave me an ultimatum- accept all treatment or none, which meant no meds, and no meds equaled I would rather be dead because pain never stops. Anyway I'm blaberring. I have met people with chronic pain, I actually treated them, almost done with my PHD in Clinical Psych but they were elderly and my clients. I want to find at least one person, just one, who knows how this is. I have hella responsibilities: besides finishing my degree, im getting married, I teach and tutor, and I don't really have friends anymore. Rebellious years of drug abuse and risky behavior are showing up now with my health being half-gone and no money to buy this one thing! Nobody can understand this if they are not a part of it, do you know that chronic pain is misunderstood more than drug addiction and mental illness? Seems not fair. Though as a clinician I understand but I just want at least one person to finish my sentence. If you are that person, and you actually read this, please reply.

2. Eleanor Rigby

I spent 3 years with an undiagnosed fibromyalgia between 15 and 18, I recall the feeling very well. (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) hold on !
    If you feel the need to talk about it or anything else, I'm always available.
    (*hug*) Cécile

3. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

That's what i was going to mention, sounds like bad fibromyalgia... mention that to the doctors. see what they say then..

Also pain is whatever the patient says it is, existing where ever the patient says it does. Everyone experiences pain differently.

Hope they decide to listen to you and keep us posted..

4. BenIsScared

Hey! I'm 18 and chronically ill. Everyone's situation is a little bit different. But I know a lot about what you're talking about! I'm sorry it's so tough! I hate that it seems to take me away from so much of 'normal life'. I'm here if you need to talk!!

5. starfish

I can empathize. I have an herniated L4/L5 disk. I haven't had an MRI, so I don't think it is ruptured, thankfully. I've been going to physical therapy and doing lordex lumbar decompression therapy for the past 7 weeks.

Thankfully I am getting better, but there was a time where it was just miserable. My back would, it hurt to move and my leg felt like it was on fire. There were days that I just wanted to die. I think the worst part of the depression. This since of dispare that I would never be able to go anywhere and that it might eventually get so bad that would not be able to keep working. Then some friends did not understand what I was going through. They got upset that I was not going out anymore, or did not have the energy to even talk on the phone.

6. seeksanctuary

I have Fibromyalgia.

I went from being able to walk two miles a day to walking a block or two if I'm lucky. My life utterly flipped over within a few years. I was... let's see, maybe 15 or 16 at the time it started in full. I'd been sick since I was 10, though. It sucks, and still sucks, because so many people just don't get it or think it's made-up. And the sad thing is, that's not the only health issue I have; I also have PTSD, asthma, Celiac Disease and a couple other issues. People think I'm making it all up just because I'm SICK and they're not, but fuck 'em.

Sorry to hear you're going through this. Surgery won't help, pain meds are crap... my only hope at this point is medical marijuana, but I don't have an open-minded doctor to go to. I heard it can really help.

Hang in there. I'm always here to talk, if other people need support in dealing with sickness. I know how it feels, especially when people don't believe it or are unwilling to work with it (as with many doctors).

7. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm 19 and about a month ago I started having some chronic back pain. It was so bad I couldn't move, walk, think, or talk. I did end up visiting the doctor and he gave me some pain medication which worked but ended up giving me crazy mood swings.

I had to choose the lesser of two evils, but I don't know how I would have been able to handle it if the pain meds didn't work.

8. DerScott

I'm happy to help too. I had back surgery earlier this year and am surprised they didn't provide pain meds until you had surgery, then presumably wean you off afterwards. My Dr gave me so many I thought he was trying to get me hooked! What mind of diagnosis were you given?

9. Precious Venus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have chronic "unexplained" back pain and IBS which causes crippling abdominal pain. I'm 33 and have had this pain since my 20s. A naturopath suggested it probably is fibromyalgia but I've never pursued this. I lost my job, my relationship and my home because of this condition, but all those events made me reevaluate my life and I've never been happier.

It's so frustrating; I totally know how you feel. Only those of us who've been there can ever really get it.

10. Aquilo

I've had kidney stones for two years.. it took the hospital a year to get the right diagnosis and another year to stop the growth. It's horrible when doctors give you vague diagnosisis like IBS or when they just think you're mad and you begin to start doubting yourselves. Once I went to emergency room and they were not willing to do any test (just one x-ray would have solved the puzzle) apart from a simple blood test and the morphine they injected didn't help at all. Pain is hell. Not working painkillers are a massive hell. I'm happy I didn't kill myselves though, life can really suck sometimes, but some things are worth it.

(*hug*) for everyone who's suffering.

11. Data

Data Guest

I have IBS and have had since I was a little kid. It used to be terrible, but I have gotten a handle on what I can and cannot eat so it's much better.

The IBS has caused a chronic anal fissure which causes intense pain whenever I go to the bathroom. It has had me in tears at times. I have had that for well over a decade. I just live with it. I'll need surgery to fix it, and the surgery is pretty painful itself.

I was in a motorcycle accident a year ago which shattered my distal femur of my left leg and fractured my tibia under the knee cap. Since the femur was shattered into pieces, it's not back the way it was exactly right, and the tibia fracture only contributed to scar formation on the bone. My leg is in chronic pain, and I kinda resemble Doctor House now more then I ever did. I went through the oxycodone addiction and the walking with the cane. The pain made me angry all the time, etc. It is getting a bit better now that my insurance authorized a second round of physical therapy. The accident wasn't my fault and it was a hit and run.

All I can say is, we all have our crosses to bear. It's part of being human.