1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bite?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Writerfun, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Writerfun

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So yesterday, I was in my basement and I felt this thing bite me. And it hurt pretty bad but I am not sure what it was. And later on my arm was a little sore and it still is. Should I be worried? It was flying around. I am not sure it was bee either. At least I don't think it's in the basement anymore. But Now i am concerned about my arm!

2. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The majority of insect bites are harmless. Can you see the bite now on your arm now? Describe how large it is, colour, is there any discharge?

The first thing that comes to my find for really painful bites are horseflies, though I'm not sure if you get them where you are? Horseflies are quite loud, so you said you don't think it was a bee, perhaps because it sounded like one but didn't have the same colouring?

3. Writerfun

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am not sure. I mean the bite is small. And redness and my arm is still sore

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sounds like your average bug bite, if you were going to have a reaction it would have happened in the first 12 hours. give it a day or two

5. SagaciousNJ

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The number of truly dangerous stinging insects/bugs that can fly is vanishingly small, and to the best of my knowledge none of them live in Illinois. It is somewhat possible that you're having an allergic reaction (which can be serious) but the worst effect of those generally come on immediately, so if you're OK right now then you likely haven't been envenomated to any significant degree.

Hope you feel better.

6. Noir

Perhaps it was a spider? O-o If you're not in a lot of pain outside the bite area and you're not allergic, then I wouldn't worry too much.

7. Writerfun

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks guys. I feel much better now. I guess I was worried over nothing.

8. Eleanor Rigby

As I always tell my pupils : there is no such thing as a stupid question.
    It's good that you're feeling better :slight_smile:
    Take care, Cécile

9. KaraBulut

In general, most bites and stings are harmless unless you have an allergy to insect venom.

The treatment is the same-
    1. Wash the area gently with soap and water- try not to massage the area as this will further distribute the venom.
    2. If it was a bee or wasp, there is usually a stinger left in the site. In some insects, this stinger continues to inject venom, so you should remove it (with tweezers, if possible to ensure you remove all of the stinger).
    3. Apply a cold pack to the area (a rubber glove or wet washcloth full of ice will do in a pinch).
    4. Take an antihistamine like Benadryl. If you have cortisone cream, apply it to the area to help reduce the reaction.
    Some people are sensitive to bee stings or spider bites. If you have a history of reactions or you have excessive swelling, shortnessof breath or other signs of an allergic reaction, then you should seek medical attention immediately.