1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acne and blackheads = sad me

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Mr.Pushover, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Mr.Pushover

So I've been getting more acne than I have in the past two years of high school, and it's really starting to bug me. My mom told me that I should use some acne cream that my sister uses, but I'm afraid it won't work for me.

Also, I have a blackhead on.my.lip. I've been scrubbing my face (especially where the blackhead is) for almost a week, and nothing's changed, so I figured I could ask you dandy folks here at EC to help me out. Thanks :slight_smile:

2. Ridiculous

Your lips do not have sebaceous glands, so it probably isn't a blackhead. However this isn't very useful information because it doesn't change the fact that it's there and you want it gone :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I'd suggest getting a very sharp, sterile needle/pin/other sharp object and attempting to release whatever it is by stabbing it lightly (you shouldn't have to draw blood) and then squeezing lightly once it has been exposed.
    However if this doesn't work then don't keep pushing and prodding it, because it will get red and irritated.

If it doesn't work, then because it is on the lip (a very uncommon place to get acne because lip skin is quite different to skin elsewhere on your face) I wouldn't be surprised if it was a birthmark or something similar. Are you sure it hasn't always been there?

Also there's no harm in trying your sister's acne cream. There's no chance of it working it you don't use it at all.

3. Mr.Pushover

Well, it kind of is at the top of my lip right around the skin, and I'm positive it's not a birthmark. And I have started using my sister's cream. I figured that I'd have no chance if I didn't try.

4. Mister E

In my experience, acne is a lot worse if you're worried about it. I had serious acne problems, and no matter what I did, it didn't get any better. Creams, washing, nothing. Eventually though, I just stopped thinking about it. It was an accident, but its true. Once I stopped worrying about it, it basically went away. All I have now are some scars and the occasional pimple to spite me.

My advice: believe that you can make it go away and just stop thinking about it. Don't tell yourself "Ya right, I can't just not think about it". Guess what? You can.

Good luck to you on your recovery. Just believe it will go away :thumbsup:

~E

5. BushHippie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Acne.org

Trust me and you'll thank me! Maybe throw in Paula's Choice too if you need it. Further options are cleaning up your diet, kelp capsules, and fish oil.

6. KaraBulut

There's an old thread here that goes over a lot of the options for treating acne.

The general rule is to not assume that there's one thing that's going to fix it. Acne can be triggered by excessive oil, dead skin blocking pores, bacterial overgrowth- or it can be a combination of these causes.

Sometimes you have to try different over-the-counter treatments and if these don't work, you will need to see a dermatologist.

7. lilyoflife

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you heard of the apple fasting method that is definite to clear your acne? Acne free in 3 days by Chris Gibson. It is not a scam.
    Products like proactive and clean and pure are just designed to drain your wallets.

8. Alex15

Surrounded by the Old Repulican Vangard (Texas)
    Olive oil, I'm serious if you replace every other oil you use to cook with olive oil it will do wonders for your skin,hair, nails everything. I'm studying abroad and I can't begin to tell you the difference I've seen just from this change in my diet.

9. colmanic14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, try this, when your in the shower, put the water on warm to mildly hot, then, just scrub your face with your hands and some soap. It's important that the water is warm/hot since it tends to open up pores better. After you hop out. Make sure to put on some cream on trouble points. Common ones are around the nose, on the nose, chin, and most importantly, FOREHEAD.
    words of caution, don't put it anywhere near your mouth, as it is poison if ingested. Also, it can stain clothes pretty bad. So you might want to put it on before you get dressed.

10. Mr.Pushover

Thanks for all the advice guys! I started using Benozoyl Peroxide and after 4 days, my skin is redder and drier than ever! Sad face.

The blackhead right around my lip is going away, but I just found out that there's a huge blackhead in my ear... I win the award for the most awkward blackhead spots... Any suggestions?

11. matt3208pc

See a doctor man, I tried every natural remedy under the sun and it did nothing for me, in fact it made it worse. Even the first few things the doctor tried did not work, but my acne was pretty bad. I eventually had to go on roaccutane. Been on it for 4 months, haven't had a single pimple in over a month. Except for some scarring i'm all cleared. This isn't to say that you should go straight to the tane, see a doctor, there are heaps of things you can try to make it better.

12. Ridiculous

Yeah over-the-counter stuff doesn't work for me either, so I had to go a doctor. I got a 3 month prescription for an antibiotic (doxycycline) which worked great, but I've been off it for about 2 weeks and I think they are starting to come back. Got another appointment next week so I'll see what he says.

However if you just go to a doctor without trying generic topical medication (like benzoyl peroxide), they'll most likely make you try that first and then only give you the proper stuff if it doesn't work. The skin doctor I went to said they couldn't put me on accutane unless I'd already tried the antibiotic, and I assume I wouldn't have even gotten that if I hadn't already been using benzoyl peroxide.

On the subject of BP, put moisturiser on a few minutes after you apply the BP. It'll help absorption and also reduce dryness.

13. Alex15

Surrounded by the Old Repulican Vangard (Texas)
    I completely forgot the best one! Swim, yep you heard me get in the swimming pool, I became a life guard and started swimming laps because I had to and my acne all but disappeared. Not kidding is was amazing. I guess the chemicals and water are good for your skin. Just make sure you rinse off afterwards. You don't want those chemicals on you all day!

14. jamjras

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Megadosing on Vitamin B5 really helped my acne. Look it up, but I warn you, it doesn't work for everyone. It's risk-free because it's water soluble so you pee anything you don't need out.

Acne.org - Acne treatment and community

Look on that site, it helped me. I didn't use BP twice a day because it ages you really badly.
    I've tried quite a lot of products so PM me if you want advice about anything. :slight_smile:

#14 jamjras, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  15. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you're 16 acne happens.

You aren't the only with.

Let me tell you a little story:
    Once upon a time there a pretty man that worked across from me, this man had nice eyes, cute face, and great hair. He were talking one day he mentioned being self concious about his chin acne, he thought he was hideous level hideous because of it. I had noticed the acne, sure, but I still found to super sexy anyhow.

the point? No one (who matters) is gonna jugde you based on having some red dots on your face, especially since they have this issue too.

and they all lived happily ever after

16. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

go see a dermatologist.

17. Junkist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The thing is skin care wouldn't come in effect in just a week.It takes a month or so to see slight change.

Change in lifestyle is the most crucial advice I'll give to my patient in the future they want to be healthy. You may had avoided oily foods and those cliche advises but you might have missed some minor things,say did you change your bedding stuffs regularly(once a week)?Did you consume lots of nuts(which contributes lots of oil)?And masturbation does contribute to acne due to hormone elevation.Go read up some research papers.

Anyway,having acne is part of our growing up experience,I myself tried hard to avoid pimple outbreak but still,I got a few,not many, pimples on my face but they goes off eventually and I didn't use any cream on those zits.So no matter how much you try,nature will still win.

If you really need,buy Oxy,they are really useful,at least for my brothers.Try with low concentration(I believe is red packaging) and gradually increase the strength if former doesn't work.

Feel free to ask me question by posting on my wall.
    Good luck :slight_smile:

18. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't recommend benzoyl peroxide for anyone, try an exfoliating cleanser with salicylic acid, like saint ives.
    you should also make sure to use a noncomedogenic moisturizer (it won't clog your pores, and helps you produce less oil)
    other than that just make sure not to touch your face and ovoid overly greasy foods, best of luck
    -I'm a licensed cosmetologist, but i also got a LOT of skin care instruction for the esthetics portion of my schooling
    most acne is related enviromental factors (like getting oil on your face), hormones, stess, diet and genetics, so work on what you can and over time your skin will get better, but keep at it, overnight results don't exist, it takes a couple monthes

19. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    Point regarding acne and stress: prior to coming out to myself, horrible stubborn acne. I had a staph infection on my chin when I was little, and now it's quite prone to acne. I also admit to having issues leaving irregularities alone. Now that I at least have my identity sorted out for myself, my acne has almost entirely cleared up :slight_smile: Just a bit left on one temple, but I also have a number of honest-injury scars there that just mess things up.

In short? If you're stressing out, acne gets worse. Sort things out, at least for yourself, and there goes a huge trigger for it.

20. lilyoflife

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    dude u seriously havent tried apple fasting method from chris gibson. god dammit no one knows about it