1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCG Diet????

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MommaFrog, Nov 1, 2011.

1. MommaFrog

My family wants to start this new "HCG Diet" and wants me to do it with them.

Anyone know anything about it? tried it? Is it even safe???:help:

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Alex

No, do not absolutely in any way do it.

First of all, injecting yourself with hormones to lose weight is silly, if not blatantly stupid.
    And second of all it is a very low calorie diet (500 calories) your body can not survive on that and you will start breaking down your own muscle for energy and other important compounds your body needs to survive.

4. MommaFrog

Well, its not the injections, it drops you put under your tongue....

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't do this, it sounds really dangerous. I've seen reports about it before and there are some really bad side effects.

6. DhammaGamer

My friend Jo has been doing it for about 4-5 months and has had very good results. My ex girlfriend is on it now and is definitely losing weight with no adverse effects as far as I know.

Do your research on it before starting. The diet is extremely strict. Don't be frightened by the low caloric intake though. The purpose of the drops is that your body burns fat cells for nutriment instead of attacking muscle tissue which is what a low calorie diet typically causes. It is extremely important that you dont "cheat" the diet because it will cause you to gain fat cells very quickly.

7. Alex

I really can't be bothered to go into the mechanisms of cellular metabolism.
    The only you will lose weight on this diet is because of the extremely low calorie intake.

Here is an article that studied the effect of that hormone, it's conclusions are rather clear. It does not work. The effect of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-based meta-analysis.

If you want to lose weight, stop eating crap food and excercise more. It is that simple.

PS. I study biochemistry at university, so I do know what I am talking about.

#7 Alex, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  8. seeksanctuary

Don't do it.

First of all, only 1% of people who lose weight keep it off. And diets don't work anyhow. :/ They can seriously damage your body. People need to focus on getting healthy, not losing weight. Especially with fads like this.

9. MommaFrog

The more i read the more i'm pushing my family not to do it... I'm deff not going to, but I dont want my mom or step-dad doing it either... and they wont listen or read when i'm sending them, and my mom is an RN...

10. DhammaGamer

It's always up to you. Like I said, my friend has had no negative side effects and has definitely lost a significant amount weight. It's important to remember that once the weight is off you still have to maintain a healthy diet with plenty of excersize in order to keep it off.

You can also get similar suppliments from places like GNC that don't have the actual hormone. It's similarly effective though, and may alleviate some stresses involved with taking the hormone itself.

11. Emberstone

sounds like it would be a yo-yo diet. the moment you stop it, you balloon right back up to the weight you were, and then some.

12. kem

kem

In my opinion, losing weight is mostly about making decisions that last for the rest of your life, like increasing exercise and improving your diet. The HCG diet doesn't seem to be a very sustainable diet, and I doubt it is safe. I think it would be unwise to try it.

13. Rinamir Mortem

Just control what you eat and how much of it. I don't understand people who feel they must take something/do something to feel like they are actually loosing weight. My Student Diet is doing just as good without the fancy drugs and hormones :grin:

14. Alex15

Surrounded by the Old Repulican Vangard (Texas)
    Losing weight isn't about taking drops or pills or magic anythings. It's a lifestyle choice, if you want to lose weight and then gain it right back then go ahead. If not, well then permantly changing your diet and exercise rutines is what you need to do. You are living healthy or your not, not much of an inbetween. Honestly if you cut out soda and don't start chugging sports drinks while not working out the average person would see a difference in weight. I've learned that you can still eat what you like, just not everyday or every week for that matter. Sweets are treats and you should treat yourself everyday. Idk just my 2 cents hope it helped :slight_smile:

15. sloaners

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's really hard to do, it took me a few times to keep with it. When I did, I lost a lot of weight but I felt horrible most days. You can't exercise when you're on it. And, when I was done with it, I put some of the weight back rather quickly.

16. Ben

Ben

Healthy eating and regular exercise sound a whole lot more appealing than a controversial miracle hormone with scary side effects.

17. Doctor Faustus

Mmm. Hear hear.

18. Junkist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The diet might be very effective when comes to losing your weight,but it'll be terribly difficult to maintain your weight.

Healthy diet,adequate exercise and determination are the best package to lose weight. I myself used to be a 92kg chubby guy with double-chinned,living in sedentary lifestyle. After months of jogging and strict diet,I'm a happy 70kg healthy young adult with no trouble maintaining my weight. No extra spending on any products,gym membership and surgical procedures.Purely change of diet and lifestyle.

Have a nice talk with your family,I'm sure they will understand your thought.

Good luck *hug* :slight_smile:

Alonso likes this.