1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Symtoms of Depression

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zak, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Zak

Zak

Today, in my 8th grade Health class, we were talking about depression. I thoguht that i would post some symtoms of depression b/c igot a sheet of them. here they r:

-you cry a lot
    -you feel worthless
    -Life seems hopeless
    -You don't like doing things you use to enjoy doing
    -You want to be alone most of the time.
    -It's hard to pay attention
    -You feel angry and keep losing your temper
    -You sleep more than usual or have troube sleeping
    -You eat less or you eat more than you usually do
    -You feel tires all the time
    -You have frequent aches and pains
    -You think about dying or killing yourself

2. Hollywood

Well...this is a depressing topic...

Everyone, cheer up! One thing that I've learned is that its not worth being down on yourself and if you're suffering from depression, seek out help. You've acknowladged so much to yourself by saying to yourself that you're gay/bi/lesbian, so don't let it continue to drag you down. This should be a happy realization :slight_smile:

3. Hollywood

At least...happy in the long run, because you'll be doing what makes YOU happy.

4. Zak

Zak

=) just trying to tellthem so they can seek help like you said.

5. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't believe they teach you this at school, in my country depressions not really mentioned and seeking help isn't really seen as an option, so I'm glad you're being taught this

I don't know if this is gonna help or just create a load of hypochondriachs, but this is an online depression test website, I've used it twice before when quite depressed, didn't really help at all

http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?id=973&type=doc&cn=Depression (Unipolar)

I tried it this time and got 59, which is severely depressed. I actually thought I was in a good mood today, but the last time I tried it I got 68, so down 9, woo hoo!

6. InaRut

:grin: Hollywood's Avatar: the anti depression

(third time mentioning that lol)

Scored a 20...Borderline depression...But most of those things are what factory work is doing to me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: haha

#6 InaRut, Dec 10, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  7. Steam Giant

I am so yummy? Huh? lol!

I really wish it was as simple as "go and get cured," but with clinical depression it just isn't that simple. I went untreated for depression (and bi-polar disorder, which I had no clue that I had) for about 10 years. Most of that time, I was fully aware that what I had was a medical problem, and I knew where to go to get help, but I refused. A lot of the time, someone with clinical depression will downright become addicted to feeling sad, to the point that they purposefully sabotage their life to ensure their sadness. Yeah, you could say that I know that part from experience...

But my point is, it's very difficult to get somebody suffering from depression to go and get help. The prospect of treatment really has to be the idea of the patient in order for any real progress to be made.

8. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    omg, I've been feeling quite depressed lately for some reason, I took the test and got 38 (Moderate - Severe), which is a lot I think!! I always thought I could never be depressed, but somehow in the last time I don't see what my problem is and I don't see the solution either :confused:

But 59 is so much more, I hope you're ok (*hug*)

9. Zak

Zak

I hope thes facts help you guys see i ur deppresed and tht quiz is hlpful..i hve yet to take it but i guess i will.

10. Zak

Zak

apparently in i am aseverly deppresed casue i got 54. I dont feel tht depresed, only a lil.

11. Hollywood

its an interesting test to take, but its not by any means a diagnosis of depression. i took it and got a 44, but because i've just been having a really difficult time with a lot of stuff lately. please don't attempt to use it as a mental diagnosis, though i doubt anyone would do that.

12. Hollywood

Ticky02Neo-Out Status: ~!My BF and Best friends(2), and my dad!~

wtf ticky-you have a boyfriend at 13? lucky bitch.

13. Zak

Zak

LOL, I know and he is a sexy beast. LOL. Yeah, i've been having a hard time with frend and i got a 54. LOL.

14. Jonathan

I got a 45 on it.

15. CrimsonThunder

I got 21, mostly due to the questions about sleep and doing simple things, which is only due to work/school and not being depressed. Otherwise I'd be in the 10's.

16. davo-man

I got a 6....yay i guess?

17. dictionary

Those questions wernt verry descriptive it cant be verry acurate if it dosent define what the selection would be exactly...

18. Steam Giant

When my therapist diagnosed me, she asked me approximately 10,000 questions, hehe! She was also able to ask me specific follow-up questions based on my answers to some of them. So the moral of the story is, go get diagnosed by a professional ^^

19. Jim1454

Some people are depressed for physical reasons, others have an underlying issue that they aren't dealing with properly. Some are just sad once in a while. Make sure you spend enough time with your doctor to understand which it is for you. I sought out help for depression about 7 years ago, and just got the pat on the head and was told to stop thinking so negatively. Thanks! But I stopped there - when I really should have been getting at the root cause of my depression - which I believe was my surpressed sexual orientation issues...

So my advice is to not try to rush to a conclusion and treatment, and be COMPLETELY honest with your therapist / doctor. There's no point in keeping secrets from them.

20. Bryan

Um... I got a 66, is this a problem?