1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quitting drinking

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DhammaGamer, Nov 8, 2011.

1. DhammaGamer

I did it before, no problem. But now it's like I drink every day, and to serious excess at times. I need help. I don't want to drink anymore because it's unhealthy and goes against my religious beliefs. Not to mention I need a strong liver if I want to go forward with HRT any time soon.

Does anyone have any tips?

2. Ben

Ben

Congrats on deciding to quit! It's great that you've got the motivation to cut it out of your routine. : )

Maybe you should just try and go cold turkey for a few weeks (maybe four) and cut it out totally. If someone offers you a drink, just try your best to turn it down, however tempting free alcohol is :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. If you just can't make it that long without a drink, then there might be a problem. If that's the case, we can help you find resources and everything, or you could research the web for things local to you which might help overcome the issue.

3. Mogget

Some people find Alcoholics Anonymous successful, but statistically, failure is pretty common.

4. Jim1454

Those are the people who don't keep going - that think they can quit on their own.

I don't want to leap to the conclusion that you're an alcoholic. If you want to stop, then stop. If you can't stay stopped, then you may have a problem. The fact that you've posted this here suggests you might think you have a problem yourself.

Going to AA seems like a really scary thing. It seems extreme. Lots of people think: "Only drunks and street people need to go to AA, and I'm not a drunk! I'm still fully functioning. I manage to get to work every day, maintain relationships, etc. AA isn't for me!"

The reality is that drunks and street people DON'T go to AA. Doctors, lawyers, accountants and all sorts of professionals go to AA. Brick layers, garbage collectors, door men also go to AA. Husbands, sons, brothers, sisters, mothers, wives all go to AA. All people who found that they had a natural inclination to alcohol addiction, and who sought help and got better. You'll find that it's quite possibly the most welcoming and non judgemental place you'll have ever gone.

If you think you have a problem with alcohol and want help, I would strongly suggest you seek out an AA meeting near you, and go. And don't go just once and decide that it isn't for you. Go for 6 weeks. If after those 6 weeks you've stayed sober (i.e. not had any alcohol) and don't think you need the meetings to continue doing that, then don't continue. But try it.

I don't attend AA, but I do attend another 'anonymous' fellowship for my own addiction. If you want to talk to me one on one, feel free to send me a PM. There's no shame in recognizing you have a problem and doing something about it. Deal with it now before it starts to consume your life.