1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A "woman's" question [you are warned!]

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ccdd, Dec 10, 2007.

1. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Basically, it may be premature posting here, cos it's only just happened this once so far, but this month I got my period just under 2 weeks early, before I was expecting it. Basically, my natural cycle is about 32 days long, give or take a day or two, but this week it came on day 21. I've had my periods for 11 years now and it has *never* come this early. I was on the pill for 4 years and came off 6 months ago. Whilst on the pill, my cycle was 28-31 days, never ever shorter than 28 days. As soon as I went off I went straight back to my pre-pill cycle and all my cycles have been 31-33, mainly 33, days since I came off, with no problems. But this month bizarrely it came really early. Do you know why this could be? Could it be connected with realising my sexuality (stupid as it sounds?). I only ask because I have *never* had a problem, other than pms, with my periods, never missed one, never had a late one or an early one within my expected parameters. This month it was a full week earlier than the very earliest it has ever come - virtually 2 full weeks before I expected it. As it's never been affected by stress or in fact anything before, it just kinda concerned me. I suppose I should just wait and see what happens next month...

I also really hope that I'm not moving from a 33-day cycle to a 21-day one!!

2. Level N Human

It's probably just hormones. If it persists or you're concerned about it, it wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor just to be safe. I wouldn't worry about it too-too much though.

3. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

There are many things that can impact hormonal levels and thus have an affect on when periods happen. That you have been rather consistent with yours and this is the first time you have had such an anomaly, it is really hard to say as to what might be the underlying cause. If it persists I would have your gyn check out a few things. As you get older, you will likely see some changes taking place in your cycle and it being influenced by stress factors and perhaps environmental factors. Studies have also shown, women grouped together for a number of months (college sororities) will tend to cycle together.

As with all things in life, there will be changes noted along the way, but usually they are not abrupt, so if this persists, again I suggest seeking out your gyn doc for an evaluation.

Good luck

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

ccdd, in case you didn't realise, JayHew is our resident doctor so his advise on any medical matter is sound.

5. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Thanks, and also especially JayHew - I think I'll probably just wait it out and see if everything returns to normal over the next couple of months, in which case I suppose it's just one of those things. (I have recently moved into a student house with a lot of other people so maybe I am just realigning myself with them!). If it persists I'll go see my doctor. It just really surprised me, and I was just wondering what people thought. Thanks!