1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being cold when nobody else is

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MyJunkIsYou, Nov 21, 2011.

1. MyJunkIsYou

I know it may seem trivial but since moving to a different building at work I am constantly cold when nobody else is. I work as an assistant in a school and people will walk around in single layers when I'm wearing three.

I am in a constant state of just being on the verge of shivering (or I am), my nipples are erect, I have some scarring on my hands which turns purple and my nose, ears and fingers are cold to the touch (I don't experience pain though).

I know it's a petty complaint but it really does affect my mood and in the job I'm doing that has an effect on my interaction with the students. I'm excusing myself in classes to go to the loo where I'm doing star jumps or I'm deliberately fetching pens and things from cupboards just to get moving. I come home with muscle aches from tensing the muscles in my shoulders all day.

Today I checked the thermostats, they're set to 20 degrees celcius however the air conditioning is permanently on (unless I am in the room to switch it off!).

I have never been one of those people who gets cold incredibly easy but I'm wondering if I have turned into one since last winter (although I still only seem to have this problem at work). I'm training for a half marathon, my body in comparison to last winter is half a stone lighter. My BMI is 20.5 which is in the healthy range. My resting heart rate has dropped as my fitness improves. Does my heart rate have any affect on my circulation?

Is there a reason my circulation would become worse? I'm aware people with less body fat tend to be colder but I wasn't anticipating such a difference

I'm wearing thermal underwear to work tomorrow :frowning2:

2. Katt

I'm a texan[: No.. we don't ride horses to school.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's normal for your heart rate to drop when you get healthier, because your heart is more efficient and can pump more blood with less pumps. I would guess that it's your circulation.

3. Noir

I have the same thing, to a lesser extent, but since I'm also rather small and fit, my circulation is bad in the winter. Even if I just drink a glass of something out of the refrigerator I'll start shivering and I often have to wear gloves inside during the winter. If I have to go outside and just walk from a building to my car when it's cold, I'll start shivering uncontrollably for about ten minutes even with the heat up full blast.

I'm pretty sure it's just your circulation since your BMI is pretty small and your HRPM is lower than you're used to. It's nothing to worry about as long as you keep warm enough. Good luck with your marathon! :slight_smile:

4. Jonathan

I am kind of sort of the same way. Basically everytime I go to class or walk outside, my friends will talk about how its nice...and I'll be like hell no, it's freezing. I'm always cold when they're not, and when I'm fine, they say it's warm...so idk.

5. TraceElement

Get your iron levels checked with your doctor, and let him know what's going on. I'm going out on a limb to guess that are feeling generally well otherwise. I would keep layering up and try to keep moving, and possibly try bringing a portable space heater (if permitted).