1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looow Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RaeofLite, Nov 24, 2011.

1. RaeofLite

I take my blood pressure for kicks and the fun of it at times in hospitals (if I'm visiting someone I know), or in pharmacies when I'm nearby.

Today I took mine at a grocery store and it read: 98/58. The usual range is 110/70 or 120/80 is it not? Last time I had mine tested a month and a half ago it read 110/70.

It kinda scared me. I drink a lot of water, exercises on occasion, eat healthily and yes ok... I do smoke (I know, bad me...)

But why is it so low? Is that abnormal? Should I worry?

2. MamaFugs

98/58 is a bit low, but it's nothing to worry about. my husband normally runs that low or even a bit lower than that. Your blood pressure changes a bit throughout the day, depending on things like activity, smoking, etc.
    Try to notice if you're feeling dizzy or light-headed and keep an eye on your blood pressure. Also, remember that those machines in the supermarket and drug stores aren't necessarily perfectly accurate.

3. mike90

Wish I could lower mine. I am on ramipril, propanolol and felotens XL at the max dose and it is still 160/100 area. Was 220/200 at its worst. :frowning2: Try not to worry about it. If you start to feel dizzy or spaced out (especially on standing) speak with a doctor. If not try not to worry about it (although worrying puts BP up so maybe it is a good thing you do lol) xx

4. KaraBulut

Those readins are not unusually low for a female in your age group. The question is whether you have any symptoms- feeling faint, feeling weak, etc. If you are not symptomatic, then it is not something to be overly concerned with.

#4 KaraBulut, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  5. Hexagon

Eat salt if you feel dizzy. It actually works, seriously. I have low blood pressure running on my mums side of the family.

6. Aeon Magus

What is your blood pressure normally? One person's low blood pressure may be normal for the next, it varies from person to person.
    Seeing as you were at the grocery store when you took the bp test, it could be that you've been standing for too long. I have neurally mediated hypotension (NMH), so I can't stand for long periods of time. It's said that before you faint, everything goes black, but for me, all I saw was white before my face found the floor... Yeah, ouch. :icon_eek:

EDIT:
    Off topic - Funniest explanation I got for this was from my doctor. He said that when you get low blood pressure and faint, it's because all your blood goes down to your feet and your head goes along with it. :lol:

#6 Aeon Magus, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  7. starfish

Those machines in grocery stores and what not are know to be inaccurate.

8. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To second the above, selectively:

Grocery store machines are not always the most accurate. And a blood pressure reading of that level is not necessarily all that abnormal. 120/80 is considered "normal," but only recently - historically speaking it's actually a bit high. If you work out, drink water, etc. and don't do things that tend to raise one's blood pressure (such as a high sodium diet), then it's not too surprising for you to be low.

If you are having any problems from low blood pressure, they'll become undeniably obvious. Dizzyness, fainting, etc. Unless you start to feel any of these things - and you'll know it if they're happening - you should be fine.

If you are worried, though - go to a doctor. There's no substitute! :slight_smile: