1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virginity and STD?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Mister E, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Mister E

Can a virgin have an STD? Or some kind of disease that can be passed via ingesting semen?

2. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    Generally, going through the digestive system will knock out most bugs (well, ones that aren't known for being contagious by ingestion :wink:. Semen didn't evolve to survive in the stomach. That being said, some STIs can be picked up in the skin of the mouth, I believe. KaraBulut should have the definite answers, though :slight_smile:

3. Mogget

There are several STDs that can infest the mouth and throat (and, incidentally, the eyes, which is why facials with someone who hasn't been recently tested are generally a bad idea). Unprotected oral is not safe sex. It's safer than unprotected vaginal or anal sex, but it's still not safe.

4. Mister E

Is it likely someone who has never had any form of sex before to have anything dangerous?

5. Mogget

It's not likely, but it is possible. Several STDs can be passed from mother to child, and some people are carriers, which means they have they STD but don't exhibit any symptoms. You should also be wary of trusting someone who says it'll be safe because they've never had sex before.

6. Mister E

Just kinda worried because I gave a friend of mine oral, and I was a bit worried. I know for avfact he'd never had sex before me, because he's not that type of person. Long story short, I swallowed and was just making sure that I was (most likely) safe...

7. ICTOAUN

Id say you're in the clear. Especially if you're not showing any symptoms and neither was he. If you're still worried you could always get yourself tested. It wouldn't hurt.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As Liam said, unprotected oral sex isn't risk-free, but it is considered a pretty low-risk activity for transmission of HIV. It is possible to transmit other STIs (gonorrhea for sure, and I believe chlamydia) but if the other person is truly not sexually active (other than with you) then the likelihood of him or her having an STI is pretty remote.

However, this is as good a time as any to suggest that having a frank conversation about sex before engaging in it is not only a good idea, but pretty imperative if you want to keep yourself healthy and safe.

Some guys will still lie, but I've talked to a lot of people who take the approach of "If they ask, I'll tell them, but if they don't ask, it's on them." I happen to think that's a deplorable way to be, but I've heard it enough times to know it's not uncommon among people with STIs.

As for your particular situation, it sounds like you're in the clear, but I would encourage you to think about this sort of thing *before* you engage... you'll be happier, enjoy it more, and sleep better afterward. :slight_smile:

9. Mister E

@ICTOAUN I'd love to so I could be sure... but I'm 15, not out to both parents, and can't really tell NY mom I had sex :/

@Chip I can't believe there are people like that. But this friend is telling the truth, but I'm glad for the reassurance. I asked him about it and he was surprised I would think so. He's not "popular" and has never been in a relationship, so I'm kinda rambling at this point. I should be more careful in the future. Thank you.

10. KaraBulut

I think you just answered the question I was going to ask you: "Is there a particular reason you're asking?".

STDs are pretty common in your age group- particularly chlamydia, gonorrhea and HPV.

One of the things that we often say in these forums is, "If you're mature enough to have sex, then you have to be mature enough to buy protection and mature enough to get tested for STDs".

That applies here. It's one thing to explore and mess around but when it gets to the stage where body fluids are exchanged, you need to protect yourself and your partner.