1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about libido

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zeraphath, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Zeraphath

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was reading a book that discussed some female sexual disorders and I have already noticed that my libido was declining for some time (talking years here). I know for a fact I'm not depressed and I'm not on any medication. I'm not really stressed out even though I do have some stressful stuff going on. I usually take things as they are and try to work my way through it but my body isn't reacting as if going under a high amount of stress (ie...normal bp, normal pulse, etc...).

Is anyone else going through this? Does anyone know what could cause this other than stress or depression?

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Personal question, but do you have a partner? Are you sexually active?

I think women have a tendency to "forget" how good sex feels when they haven't had it in awhile. It takes awhile to get us in the mood again. We are different than men in that way, I think. I'm not a sex therapist but from girl talks I've had with friends, it seems to happen that way. Some of the friends I've talked to who have been divorced awhile, say that the first few months were hard but after that they don't care if they have sex or not.

3. Zeraphath

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't have a partner right now but I have been in relationships in the past where my desire for sex was sporatic. I used to be a big flirt but even that has stopped. It's really weird how much of an introvert I've become and there's no real reason for it.

4. EthanS

EthanS Guest

isnt libido the afterlife or sumthin?

5. Zeraphath

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    LOL It's the sex drive...just a fancier term.

6. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Oo... ^_^ since its bout females i wotn kno :grin:

7. Zeraphath

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think guys can be affected too...but I don't know anyone with similar symptoms as me and I'm a little nervous about talking about this with my doctor. I haven't come out to her yet...

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You might try some research online for natural supplements you can take. My son works in a health food store and many people come in to buy this stuff......men and women.

9. Ty

Ty Guest

ROFL

Ethan, you were thinking LIMBO XD

Urm women's sex problems really confuse me (remember im gay here) so Im no help atall... See a sex therapist? Also, Becky's idea sounds rather plausible.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I asked my son and he said that taking DHEA helps alot of people with low libido. You should however talk to your doctor first about it though. I see no reason why you need to come out to him/her.

11. waitingsucks

I didn't think being an introvert has anything to do with libido. Sounds like u need some sort of aphrodisiac. Can loss of libido be related to weight, maybe that's just with males with erectile dysfunction. idk

12. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Lots of things can affect Libido, but the overriding factor is the brain and our attitude. Even though we may not "feel" depressed, we could be when it is really looked at. After all depression affects us in ways that takes the joy out of many of the activities we once enjoyed. It is possible to have a sub-clinical depression - one that is below our own radar screen.

Mental attitude has the largest influence on what happens to us sexually. The brain is the largest sex organ we have. So if there are "issues" going on, it can and will have an impact upon what we do and how we do. Also as we get older the need for the frequency of sexual encounters for the most part can drop, yet not fully go away, thus if you are noticing it, it means there is something more going on.

Take a few of the depression tests that are available on line and see if you come up as perhaps being depressed and not knowing it. If so, cognitive therapy will help, counteracting negative thoughts with positive, but also perhaps try using some St. John's Wort for about 6 weeks and see if things change. Taking of DHEA is questionable in a way as the long term affects on the liver are not known, but I think short courses of it should be fine. Cycling is not a bad thing.

Best wishes here.

13. Zeraphath

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for all the tips! I really appreciate it.

I will look into the depression and the suppliments. It was recommended in the past that I take DHEA and EPA (is that correct?) because I do have recessives from Bell's Palsey but I will discuss that with my doctor first.