1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stress Eating

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Marlowe, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Marlowe

Right now I have a lot of stress in my life for a number of reasons, and while I realize that I need to deal with the underlying symptoms, right now that is no going to happen. I just don't have time with the end of the semester craziness for grad school. I think the worst habit I have gotten into is stress eating. I don't have much junk food, but you would be astounded at the lengths I have gone to get rich satisfying food. I feel really disgusting after I eat and worse, I don't feel satisfied.

Does anyone have any tips about managing stress eating? It really has been getting out of hand in the past few weeks and I can't seem get it under control.

2. Doctor Faustus

I haven't stress eaten myself, but I would suggest possibly trying to find another outlet for your stress. Write another of your great poems, or listen to some relaxing music.

I suppose you could try limiting rich foods to when you're going out with friends. That way, you'll see them as treats and not instant/temporary stress relievers.

Take this with a pinch of salt though: I'm not a (real) doctor! xD

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dr. F.

3. Bi As A Kite

Go for a run? Maybe a long walk. Do you play any musical instruments?

4. jsmurf

Try keeping a journal or diary of all the foods you eat. Draw a square or some other easily visible boundary around a certain section of each page to psychologically establish your quote for the day to come. If you're able to, avoid foods high in fructose corn syrup and refined sugar, and pursue lean proteins, omega-3's, and leafy veggies and fruit.

You might feel the effects of withdrawal for a couple of days, but following this harrowing transition I think you'll feel very satisfied and less susceptible to the wearisome, cortisol-inducing effects of stress.

:slight_smile:

5. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hate comfort eating. It makes you feel bad and then you eat because of that, and it repeats. It's a nasty cycle. Try eating healthy food, or only have healthy food. Look at how many nasty things are in the unhealthy food. Trust me that turned me off a type of food for ages.

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Buy healthy snacks to munch on, all the filling power none of the guilt. Baby carrots are great or animal crackers

7. Ichi42go

I personally have the same habit, and have been walking a lot instead. Every time I want to go and get food, I tell myself I can't have it unless I am getting it from the place on the other end of the city. (The one time I actually DID walk all the way there... a distance of 4 miles... I actually was so proud of myself I didn't get it! Then I walked back.) Now I walk any time I feel like stress eating.