1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acne treatment help.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Super Trouper, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Due to my persistent acne and other hormonal issues, my endocrinologist prescribed me a combination of two meds. Diane-35 and Androcur (Cyproterone).
    Now, my concern is that I've recently read some reviews of that combination of meds in women, and apparently "Women who take contraceptive pills containing cyproterone acetate have a six- to sevenfold risk of developing thromboembolism".

I want to know if it's safe. Can anyone tell me?

2. KaraBulut

Clotting issues are a possible side effect of all female hormone treatments.

However, cyproterone is something altogether different. It's not an estrogen, it's an antiandrogen- a drug that lowers male hormone.

We all learn that men have male hormones and that women have female hormones. What is usually not mentioned is that men have female hormones (estrogen) and women have male hormones (androgen). It's all a matter of how much of each we have.

Your doctor has put you on a drug to alter that balance- a combination of ethynyl estradiol (EE) and cyproterone. The cyproterone is added to manage some of the androgenic side effects of the EE- like acne, for example.

Your doctor should always go over possible side effects of medications that he/she prescribes. Since you're concerned about the side effects, call and make an appointment for the doctor to call you to discuss your concerns.

3. invisible manny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What I do to clean my face is a practical Mexican recipe that is easy to make from what you can find in your fridge and pantry. I'm not sure if this will help, but this is what I do. You take a small lime and roll it with your palm to get most of the juice out. Squeeze the lime juice onto a small bowl. It should have about a tablespoon of it. You can substitute a lime for a lemon. You take sugar and add enough in the lime juice and mix it for it to have the same consistency as wet sand. Make sure the sugar does not dissolve in the lime juice. Exfoliate. Let it stay for about 5 minutes (and try not to eat it). Rinse off with warm water and you're done. I use it once every 1-2 weeks.