1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horrible breath

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by pace e amore, Dec 6, 2011.

1. pace e amore

I've struggled with absolutely dreadful breath for years now, i brush my teeth as often as i can and use mouthwash and mints compulsively but my breath is still unbearable. Is there anything i can do about it?

2. Artemicion

Erm...how are your sleeping habits, or ...what do you eat? Also do you smoke? etc?

3. J Snow

I think this would probably be more fitting under the health section. I don't really have any advice though.

4. pace e amore

I'm a half a pack a day smoker, and i don't eat much except potatoes and eggs for breakfast, then i usually stay full for the entire day. I'm not sure what you mean by sleeping habits, i just pass out wherever it's comfortable.

5. Ridiculous

What do you drink, how much and how often? If you are dehydrated then I find it makes your breath smell, although this could be just because the act of drinking flushes out the mouth.

Brush your tongue and the insides of your cheeks, not just your teeth. The tongue is the main culprit for harbouring the bacteria that cause bad breath. You can just do this with your toothbrush.

If you are just eating once a day, in the morning, then that could also be a contributing factor. Saliva (which is produced while eating) works to neutralise bacteria and their waste products, so if you don't eat at all then that won't happen and the bacteria will run rampant. Eating only in the morning is also probably not very healthy for other reasons, but I won't go into that here.

Smoking will obviously give your breath a musty, smoky quality, and the only advice to give there is to stop smoking.

6. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly the smoking probably contributes to it and if it doesn't contribute to it I'm sure it doesn't help with the cause. I would try brushing after every meal, use mouthwash two or more times a day and floss regularly. If that doesn't work, maybe you can bring it up to your dentist the next time you go in.

I'm going to go ahead and move this thread to Health and Wellness section as I see it more fitting there.

7. Artemicion

What I meant by sleeping habits is that if you sleep late you tend to get bad breath as well compared to sleeping early.

8. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, that's very true. I guess an explanation for that is there's more time for germs and bacteria to linger around or something, not totally sure but you're right.

9. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll second this - there are lots of odd little infections or bacterial what-have-yous that can cause bad breath (though I'll admit most of what I'm thinking of comes after dental procedures). If that's what it is, it can be very easy to clear up, too. A dentist may be the person to ask.

10. pace e amore

Thanks, i'll try that and see if it helps.