1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C-ptsd

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Miles D, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Miles D

I'm back to EC to ask for help regarding my anxiety disorder. I have a lot of the symptoms of Complex Post-traumatic Stress Disorder, and I have a feeling that my therapist will be diagnosing me at our session this Wednesday.

For those who also have some type of anxiety order, I have questions!

-- How much/what (symptoms, triggering situations, treatments, etc) do you disclose about your diagnosis if you're open about it at all? (to family/friends/public?)

-- How do you deal with close friends you don't share a lot with, simply because you don't like talking about it? And how can I explain it to people, that I'm not trying to ditch them as friends, not avoiding certain events because I'm not interested, etc.

Especially in the short-term, if someone invites you to an event later that night you feel you can't/won't/mustn't go to, what's a good word or phrase for letting them know I can't because of my C-PTSD... but without having to say it point-blank?

Thanks
    -Miles :grin:

2. mike90

-- How much/what (symptoms, triggering situations, treatments, etc) do you disclose about your diagnosis if you're open about it at all? (to family/friends/public?)
    It took me a long time but I am open about most of it. I still hide it when I have had a panic attack if I can. I have medication to control it but that doesn't mean it always works. I also am too scared to admit things to new people. Just so you are aware I have generalised anxiety disorder, with panic attacks, self harm, suicide attempts and long term major depression which is now classed as treatment resistant.

-- How do you deal with close friends you don't share a lot with, simply because you don't like talking about it? And how can I explain it to people, that I'm not trying to ditch them as friends, not avoiding certain events because I'm not interested, etc.
    Most my friends I am just honest with... but if I am talking to someone new I either say I have a doctors appointment or say that I have to look after a family member or the like but stress that I wish that wasn't the case, Anything I can do to help feel free to message me on here and I will help where I can xx

3. RaeofLite

1. I would tell your family and very close friends you know you can confide in, that you're going through a stressful situation. I tell most of my things to my parents. I sometimes withhold it not because I am worried how they would think of me but because I don't want to burden them at times worrying about me. However, if I am going through something serious, I do tell them. I think as loved ones, I feel it is their right to know so they can know when you're going through a rough time and support you, and also strengthen the trusting bond between you.

As for the public? Do you mean like at school or something like that? I personally don't think the public needs to know all about me and life issues but... then again that's just me.

2. Explanation to people:I would say, I'm going through a fairly stressful period and that it's not that I don't like you or the event you invited me to, it's that I just havea lot on my plate right now. If they are good friends they should understand.

(Good to see you again Miles.)

4. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Social anxiety in my case

I'm pretty open about it. I don't like people at school knowing, but thats coz kids are cruel. But I tell my friends if I need to be left alone and some of them listen. The ones that don't drive me nuts. But at least I have my girlfriend. She's a legend. (She is also in a male body, so people don't actually know she's my girlfriend)

If they're really friends, they'll understand if you explain it. If they don't accept it, then they're not close friends. If you can't talk to them then they don't deserve your friendship.

--Especially in the short-term, if someone invites you to an event later that night you feel you can't/won't/mustn't go to, what's a good word or phrase for letting them know I can't because of my C-PTSD... but without having to say it point-blank?

Appointments usually work if its an aquaintence, or homework, or work, or whatever. If its a friend I say I'm suffering from my anxiety because they should hopefully understand. If not, as I said above... well, they're not my friends.