1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whiplash - CT/MRI Questions (everyone)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Austin, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So some guy rear ended us when my dad was driving and I was with him. This was the day before thanksgiving (weds 11/23). The front of my head kinda burned for like a week and I had some pains in the back of my head by my neck and my temples. I had some trouble concentrating and moving my eyes quickly (like taking notes at school... looking up and looking down at paper was difficult)... This lasted about a week like I said. I had a CT scan w/ and w/o contrast set up for Tues 12/6 I think. I think that's how long it took... but i was afraid to get it with the contrast because I'd have to go to school after and was worried about some reaction or w/e. Also I was feeling about 95% better I saw no reason to get the excess radiation and increase my cancer risk by about 1/1000 - 1/2000 (factored in dividing the odds in half cus I'm 19 and have a long life ahead hopefully, and would need 2... w/ and w/o.)... So rescheduled for Fri 12/10, even though my head seemed to be hurting a bit again. Now today my head seems to be hurting in the back by my neck... and when I hum or talk loudly or even walk (and focus on it), it hurts a bit. Like any vibration feels weird, I cannot explain it. Feels like my brain moves around in my skull. On the upside I think my eyes are better, and the concentration issues/burning in front of head are mostly nonexistant. But, I was still a bit apprehensive on what to do. I'm pretty much a hippie. I try to eat organic and healthy foods and avoid medicines I don't need and stuff... Anyways I skipped the Friday appointment and canceled it altogether (well, I had my mom do it for me). I kinda had the genius idea that I'd ask to get an MRI instead and have the best of both worlds - know what is going on with my head and avoid radiation. Although that comes with another set of issues such as enduring what sounds like a very loud noise... like a jackhammer (my ears seem to be very sensitive)... for 30-60 minutes... and will an MRI show the same thing?

I have mostly been laying around and I can't tell if thinking about it is making it hurt more.

I dunno if the CT scan is because MRI is more expensive or what.

I swear I must have a mental problem concerning anxiety because I worry myself sick with these things. I've been back and forth with getting the CT scan and not getting the CT scan. Usually my mind just gets set on doing one way or the other eventually... but it hasn't happened yet!

Also I've been hearing this throbbing in my ears on and off. Maybe for like 5 seconds at a time once a day. This happened a few times before the accident though. Also the "vibrating" head happened for a few days before the car accident. I felt like it happened after I worked out.

I'm curious what everyone thinks about what I should do.... and esp Kara hopefully... and what everyone's experiences with CT and MRI scans are...

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to add that my head did not hit anything it just got shook somewhat hard. Which can cause concussions and such.

3. KaraBulut

An MRI tends to produce better images of the spine. There's controversy about CT vs MRI for head imaging- they are both effective although CT is what has traditionally been done for imaging the brain.

The important thing is that you get the study done. This should have been done immediately after the accident so that if there were anything wrong, you could have been treated for the problem.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! I'm not exactly sure why we didn't. I guess we didn't really think of the possible things that could happen. Since it didn't hit anything or whatever. But the symptoms were pretty bad I guess.

Do you know if it is sufficient to get an MRI rather than a CT scan? Obviously I'd prefer not to get the radiation. But I don't want to get an MRI and then need a CT scan later. And I know CT scans are the usual thing, but I've read that it partly comes down to lower costs and quicker scans/results. I'm just not sure which one I should ask for? I'd feel much better doing the MRI, assuming it doesn't kill my ear drums. But I don't want to miss anything important either.

5. starfish

I had an MRI a couple of months ago. They gave me ear plugs and I feel asleep during the MRI.

Spine problems can be weird. I have arthritis in my spine. Some days I feel like I can run a marathon and others it hurts to no end. With every spot in between. There really dosen't seem to be any rhyme or rhythm to it. Somedays I feel real silly going to the doctor or physical therapy, because that day I feel fine but others I hurt really bad.

I don't like taking meds unless I have to, but I had to get over that. They work best if you take them on a schedule, before the pain starts. Also next time you see your doctor ask if he thinks physical therapy might help. If so get him to write and order for it. It has done wonders for me.

Don't worry about the radiation from the CT scan, it is a very low dose. We are naturally exposed to ionizing radiation our entire lives. Our bodies can handle it. Maybe if you had one or two everyday you might need to worry.

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had way too many MRIs in my life. I've always been given earplugs or headphones, and usually they'll put on the radio or a CD - you can't ear it too well over the sound of the machine, but it's a way of keeping track of time. The pounding is loud, but for me it's never been painfully so.

7. KaraBulut

The preference for CTs post-trauma has more to do with convenience/availability and the fact that often removing all metal objects from the patient is not possible.

Since you're ambulatory and presumably, you don't have any metal implants, you're fine getting an MRI. An MRI will show any soft-tissue injury and eliminate the possibility of skeletal injury (which is unlikely based upon the type of accident).

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So there isn't a difference between what an MRI will show and what a CT scan will show? Think I'll need contrast? :S

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I went to doctors and he prescribed an MRI... he says he's not sure if the insurance companies will approve... but hopefully!!!

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me more experiences with MRIs?

I'm also a bit concerned with the Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that can be caused by the contrast agent? :S

10. starfish

Do you have kidney problems? Reading that page it looks to mostly occur in people with kidney problems.

I would be surprised if the insurance does not cover the MRI. I would sugget calling your insurance company to find out. Just call the number on your insurance card. When I had my MRI, they billed the insurance company $1200 and the negotiated rate was $800 of which I had to pay 20%. Of course each plan is different but they can explain that to you.

A word of advice. Insurance deductibles typically reset Jan 1. So get the MRI this year, so it will count against what has already been paid against the deductible this year.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea, our deductible is paid for I think... so we'll make sure we get it this year! They would cover the MRI but it seems like the symptoms may not have been enough for them to think I need it? idk. I don't think an MRI is much more than a CT scan price-wise?

And yea I know my kidneys are probably fine... but how do you know? =O it's just that disease sounds like hell.

I think I'm a hypochondriac... lol.

---------- Post added 12th Dec 2011 at 05:08 PM ----------

Btw it seems like the only place i find MRI stories are from people with ear problems or clausterphobia (which im afraid ill get idk.... think positive!) or had bad reactions to the contrast agents. I'd like to hear some more positive ones. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. starfish

My aunt has had several MRIs due to cancer. She has problems with claustrophobia, she deals with by putting a towel over her head. I had my late in the evening, so I was tried after a day of work and ready to relax. So I was able to close my eyes and go to sleep.

As for knowing if you have kidney problems, you'd know if you had kidney problems. Millions of people have had MRIs and CT scans with contrast. I had a CT scan with contrast when I was about 6 months (Don't want to think how much that cost back then). I came out of it ok. Now those Army experiments are a different story. ;-)

13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats a good idea. I read it somewhere before. I may try that...

I'm scared insurance may not approve it :frowning2: