1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rsi

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Hana Solo, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think I have RSI in my wrist. It hurts like nothing else even when I’m not typing or writing. I have it in a support and have a magnetic bracelet around it. For the next week, not writing or typing very much is not an option as I am still at school. Does anyone know of anything else that might help? I’m stretching it out regularly too and not using it to open doors and the like in order to give it a rest. Now my other wrist is starting to hurt too since I’ve been using it a lot more. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. TraceElement

Try using the RICE method... rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Also, try using Advil or Motrin if you are not allergic. They are anti-inflamitories that can reduce any swelling.

3. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'll try the RICE method :slight_smile: There's no noticable swelling but the magnetic bracelet has really really helped.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There can be an emotional component to some forms of RSI. If you're particularly stressed out or something has happened that's causing emotional turmoil, that can exacerbate RSI. So one thing you can do in addition to the RICE approach is take a few minutes and relax and clear out your mind, and envision your wrist relaxing and opening. It sounds airy-fairy, but it can actually work really well.

If it's an ongoing problem, and you have to type a lot, I very strongly recommend the Kinesis Ergo Advantage keyboard. It's spendy, but it is by far the best ergonomic keyboard out there, both in terms of helping your RSI and in terms of durability. It will last forever... I've used the Kinesis for 14 years now and still use the first one I bought every day. I had a pretty severe RSI problem with my left hand, and was in a position where I couldn't just not type -- I was working on a large project that involved writing for 8 to 10 hours a day. I got the Kinesis, and within 2 or 3 weeks, the problem was gone entirely. Looks weird as hell, and will take a week or two to get used to, but your typing speed will also increase as a bonus.
    [​IMG]

5. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I already type pretty fast XD. It might just be end of year stress. Thanks. I didn't know there was an emotional component to RSI.