1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

uncooperative body is uncooperative

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by stumble along, Dec 20, 2011.

1. stumble along

Title kind of says it
    So I think I'm an ok ish looking guy but the one thing I absolutely hate about my body is that no matter how hard I try I can't either get rid of the fat around my lower abs or I can't tone it, whichever it is. I just do not like it, but I havent been working out as much because I fell into a hole with my grades
    So this Christmas and hopefully today I should be easing my way back into ky old regime but even then I couldn't get rid of it.

Any hints or tips?

Also is there any way to workout obliques?

2. Ridiculous

Lower abs are a particular fickle part of your body because for most people (males anyway, not sure about females) as that area always seems to be the last area that fat comes off, plus it seems to also be affected significantly by how hydrated you are. I know for me that the only chance I'll be able to see definition in my lower abs is first thing in the morning before I've eaten or drank anything, but I don't have this problem with the top four. This is the reason why it's pretty common for models to not drink anything for the entire day of their shoot, and possibly even drink alcohol beforehand to dehydrate themselves further.

So don't feel discouraged if you can't see them, because even professional models can't see them in normal circumstances.

I'm not sure what resistance exercise you are doing for abs, but most don't target lower abs very well. Crunches are their different variations mostly just target the upper abs. Leg raises - either lying flat on your back and raising your legs together into the vertical position then lowering (video: Lying Leg Raises For Abs - YouTube), or hanging from your hands and raising your legs together into the horizontal position then lowering (video: Hanging leg raises for abs - YouTube) - work pretty well. You should take about 5-6 seconds per each raise; faster than that and your abs won't be under tension for long enough.

However even if you've got the best lower abs in existence you have to have very low bodyfat and very good genetics to be able to see them, which kinda sucks.

Obliques are quite difficult to target as well... you can do crunches while lying on your side (video: How To: Oblique Floor Crunch - YouTube, he also has some other oblique exercises. Just make sure you're actually crunching your torso, not just your neck. Your upper body should rise off the floor) or side-planks, but I've never found anything to be particularly effective for me.