1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lesbian safe sex 2

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Psychedelic Bookmarks, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Psychedelic Bookmarks

ummm, thanks for closing the last thread paul_uk, because tbh some of the things were a bit offensive. but some of my questions weren't fully cleared up. so, basically, i'm repeating my call for any info on lesbian safe sex, and sensible precautions to take, on any lesbian sexual practices, including oral, sex toys, tribadism, etc. thanks.

i wanted to ask, before the thread was closed, if i had a girlfriend who i knew and trusted, but i knew she'd had sex with men before, would it be safe to have unprotected oral or would it be sensible to get tested first? (ok obviously it's always more sensible to get tested, but i mean does anyone know about the relative risks?)

edit: and another thing, does anyone know about the risks involved with menstrual blood or sex while on a period?

#1 Psychedelic Bookmarks, Dec 17, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I was hoping you would post again.

Hopefully you will get the answers you need this time. :thumbsup:

3. Dizzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well in the UK there is a very low percentage of people with HIV specifically, and pretty low of other sexually transmitted diseases. If it has been at least six months (my estimate, not official) since she last had sex with a guy, then with most diseases some evidence would have shown up by now, and for the vast majority of diseases she would know if she had it. So I would personally consider the risk VERY low in that circumstance, if you trust her to let you know if there might be any issues.

However that is just me trying to work it out logically, so you might want to wait until someone who knows a little more than me comes along! :icon_wink

4. Urman

Urman Guest

That was partially my fought for bringing up qestion but it was suppose to be a serious question but it got out of hand and i apologize .

5. Zec24

I wish I could say I had more answers, but I'm a largely uneducated lesbian. I'm also a little scared of the whole idea of having sex with anyone. I really don't have a good grasp on what lesbian sex would consist of except what I've seen on the L Word, and then they are just actresses.

As to being safe, as I said last time, I would make sure anything you do is protected. I think that especially applies when your partner is on their period, although I can't imagine actually wanting to have sex when someone is on their period.

Sorry I'm not much help, but I've never had sex and quite frankly I have too low of a libido to actually care if I do or not, I just hope any future girlfriend understands that. Then again, maybe it'll just take the right girl for me.

6. waitingsucks

COuld I ask a question? just did lol. Does any1 have some figure about the risks involved in safe/unsafe sex?

7. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well i figured no one else has something to say, so i searched google for a bit, because i know there's nothing more frustrating than a question that's left unanswered. :icon_wink

Here's a few line from a site i trust very much:
    And don't think HIV is where it ends:
    If your partner exhibits any of the above symptoms (i put them in bold, as i don't expect you to read all that, i wouldn't want to either) refrain from sex and research that symptom a bit more, if it persists, get tested and treated.

Yes, it would make the most sense to get tested, the both of you as it'd be unfair to just ask her.
    You owe it to each other to be completely safe, and most tests can be taken through a simple blood sample.
    However, from one teenager to another, "use gloves and dental dams" sounds a bit foolish to me. Yes, it's ideal, but it does take away from the sensuality.

If you two get tested and remain monogamous, then i see no need for such precautions. Although i would refrain from sex during menstruation or when either of you have an open wound in your mouth or on your hand, or be more alert. Besides that, just be a teenager and have some fun :slight_smile:.

#7 Proud1p4, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2007
  8. Psychedelic Bookmarks

thanks, proud1p4! it looks like you put in loads of work! but, ironically, i went to the school nurse today, and got a leaflet about lesbian safe sex from her, and it had almost exactly the same wording! it must have been the same organisation! :icon_redf so sorry to cause you work! but thanks for highlighting it, that's very useful =] (*hug*) you have given me lots of good advice!

the only thing i still wonder about is, sometimes periods are actually really long. like mine are often more than a week. also, they tend to be when i feel most - eh- frisky, so it could be quite a pain having to go celibate through that. and does anyone know exactly why it would be a risk? is it to do with an infection in the bloodstream, and if you were to injest someone else's infected blood that could infect you? (my biology is not terribly advanced)

thanks again, proud1p4, you're tres helpful. :icon_bigg

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have closed a couple of other threads about lesbian sex, and just left this one and the lesbian sex for gay males one open. Hopefully this will keep the subject contained to a couple of threads rather than having bits all over the place.

10. Louise

Stds are contracted through body fluids, for that you have to have an open wound or ingest them. Ingesting them is slightly less risky because the stomach juices afford you some protection but the risk is still very real. Any infected blood, mucus or saliva can carry infection.

If you feel particularly 'frisky' during your periods you can still have fun. If you use a tampax there would be no blood around, you would just have to hold off on penetrative sex with fingers, tongues or objects but there are loads of other fun things to do which would help you hang on and wait for your period to end.

11. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Thank you so much for this thread. I may have only just discovered my orientation, but I sure haven't done my research yet. I actually had to look up "scissoring" and "tribadism" and "dental dams". I am so stupid that it had never really occurred to me that lesbian sex couldn't be safe. Doofus. But luckily you all got to me before I got any. he he

I'm very clued up about safe heterosexual sex, but this is just never talked about. Where do you get these things from, like dental dams or whatever? The chemist?? And I've just thought, you have to be able to do some things at least when you're menstruating - because if you haven't aligned your cycles yet, that could be 2 weeks out of every 4 that you can't do anything... :frowning2:

12. ccdd

ccdd Guest

well - I knew obviously that lesbian sex wasn't completely safe, just not the extent. But I think they really should teach this as well in school now, not just about condoms. I know that even now Section 28 is repealed, schools are probably pretty much too scared (or ignorant) to. (when I was at school when someone asked a question about homosexuality the teacher turned round and said "it's against the law for us to discuss that" - a slight misinterpretation of section 28 I think? But that's how it was then - and I left school in 2002!! This "it's against the law" reaction actually happened in two schools I was at. It was never discussed, other than that it existed. But that's another topic)

Arneneithel, was there anything else on your leaflet that's useful? And does anyone know whether GPs etc stock up on such information? There is the internet I know, but I'm a stickler for reputable sources :wink:

And what exacty are dental dams? (sorry, I just don't know)

13. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Aha, don't mention it, in reality it took me all of 5 minutes :icon_wink

And i didn't necessarily mean celibate, although it would be ideal, i know fully well as a teenager "no sex" is a death sentence. :lol:
    Just avoid contact with any part of the body that provides and opening for any infected blood/fluid ie: if you bite your fingernails and there are nicks and cuts. Try to use sex toys (DONT SHARE!) or stimulating the vulva rather than penetrating. All i meant was, if you see blood or any of the symptoms in my previous post, lay off for a while or go for a more "show and tell" approach (strip-tease etc.)

As i've said above, the possibilities for sex while menstruating are endless, with a little imagination of course :icon_wink And it's not that you have to abstain, just be extra careful about any cuts on your hands etc.

And you can get dental dams at about any drug store, right next to the condoms. If not, a condom cut open and made into a crude square will do. Here's a bit of information on dental dams and how to make them.

Here's the link again. Don't be sorry! It's an honest question and you deserve to know, as you haven't been taught it in school as i have. :icon_wink

They are available in many flavors as well as these new "sensations". They are chemically (i think) laced to provide a "tingling" feeling for the partner to make up for the lack of tongue-texture.

#13 Proud1p4, Dec 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2007
  14. Psychedelic Bookmarks

seriously? wowness. and thanks for all the info, man, you seriously are the awesome (to use joeyconnick's genius phrase).

right, *procures leaflet* i think most of it has already been quoted. there's some other stuff but most of it is general waffle rather than specific information. i wouldn't know about GPs, but maybe proud could give us the link to where he found it on the internet, they might have some more stuff there?

and i'm glad this thread has happened, because it's certainly true that there is so little publicity about lesbian safe sex, it would be easy to think it didn't exist...

15. TriBi

Proud DID give you the link :wink:

Just click on the (blue underlined) word "link" in his post. :grin:

16. Psychedelic Bookmarks

oops, sorry proud! you truly are teh lesbian safe sex guardianator!!

17. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

#17 Proud1p4, Dec 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2007
  18. Zeraphath

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for the info, it was really helpful!

19. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Don't mention it, you can pay me back by putting it into action. :icon_wink

Play safe.

20. tayana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone